Author Topic: Giving it a shot... My First Laminated Glass Bow Build  (Read 5617 times)

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
Giving it a shot... My First Laminated Glass Bow Build
« on: August 30, 2016, 02:27:00 PM »
Well I've probably bitten off more than I should have, but after thinking about it for a few years, I've finally decided to give building a laminated glass bow a try.  It's been incredibly helpful to read all of the "Build Along" threads about the process, and to follow what others have done, so I thought I'd start a thread for my first bow build.

I know I'll have a ton of questions as I go, and so many of you bowyers here have an incredible wealth of knowledge, so I hope you'll be willing to help me along as I go.  No doubt, others will be able to learn from my mistakes for their first efforts!

First the basics... I'm attempting to build a similar bow to one of my favorite one piece longbows, and I have measured and chosen laminations accordingly.  I'm not looking to make a perfect clone of this bow, rather just a reasonably similar looking design with similar performance and feel.

The basics...

I'm planning on using zebrawood for my riser, and ActionBoo laminations (a combination of parallel and tapered), along with .040 and .050 glass for the back and belly respectively.  I have some Eucalyptus Burl veneers for my outer laminations, under the glass.

I'm still building my heat box and my form.  The heat box and form are based on the designs from Bingham's.

I welcome all the help (and criticism) I can get!

Thanks!
Anthony

My Zebrawood stock:

My Eucalyptus Burl veneers:

Drawing the bow shape onto what will be my form's top ply lamination:

Partially constructed heat box:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Giving it a shot... My First Laminated Glass Bow Build
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 04:22:00 PM »
Wish you the best, post pictures of your progress.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen eucalyptus ..... STUNNING!    :thumbsup:   good luck.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
Hope your glass is streak free with that cool wood! The last glass i goy was pretty bad.
Its not hard to do a glass lam bow. The problem is that its hard to stop making them.
theirs a fly in my soup

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »
Thank you, guys, for the encouragement!  I will definitely keep posting pics and updates as I make progress.

Blaino, I agree... the Eucalyptus Burl caught my eye, and I don't think I've seen any bows made with it before.

breazyears, I got "Bo Tuff Crystal Clear" glass laminations from OMC Bowyer Supply.  I'm hoping the name is accurate but I guess I'll only know for sure after I glue it all up.  And yes, I can imagine that this will not be the last bow I make.  I'm already having a great time doing the research, and choosing the components/lams, and building my form and heat box!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
Lay the glass on a black surface and look it over closely. Blow or brush the dust off it first, it can look like streaks.

Then hold up to a good light and look it over carefully, you should see any streaks doing these things.

Good luck sir!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
Nice veneers, how thick are they?
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »
go to Lowe's a buy 1/8" wood dowel 2' or 3' long and pin you lams and glass to your riser on the back of the bow to keep them from slipping around when you glue up.
you can put it dead center and cover it up later with a overlay
      ! !
      ! !
      )-(<------riser thumb and finger grip
      ! !
      ! !
I pin my belly lams at the top of the fade ramp and cut the extra wood off later.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 02:23:00 AM »
always liked to watch the new setup... please keep coming...
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 10:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mark Daniel:
Nice veneers, how thick are they?
They are .021"

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 10:25:00 AM »
kennym, thanks for the tip on checking the clarity of the glass strips.  I'll look them over today.

Mark Daniel, I haven't come across that method before, but I think I understand what you're suggesting.  Is that a big concern...  lams sliding around when gluing up, if you don't pin them?

As far as how you actually do it, I'm guessing you line up your stack of lams, and carefully drill through the glass, and other lams, just into the riser on the back of the bow, and then pin them with the dowel on glue up?  Then the same thing on the face/belly, but on the top of the fade ramps as you suggest?

I'm going to try to get some work done today and tomorrow towards finishing up my heat box, form, and cutting my riser out.

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
Riser and lams sliding is a HUGE issue I wished I had listened to that advice better on my first bow.
The best made plan won't get it made the way you planned.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 06:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Major Boothroyd:
kennym, thanks for the tip on checking the clarity of the glass strips.  I'll look them over today.

Mark Daniel, I haven't come across that method before, but I think I understand what you're suggesting.  Is that a big concern...  lams sliding around when gluing up, if you don't pin them?

As far as how you actually do it, I'm guessing you line up your stack of lams, and carefully drill through the glass, and other lams, just into the riser on the back of the bow, and then pin them with the dowel on glue up?  Then the same thing on the face/belly, but on the top of the fade ramps as you suggest?

I'm going to try to get some work done today and tomorrow towards finishing up my heat box, form, and cutting my riser out.
YES
Make sure your riser is thick enough or glue on more to the belly, so the pins don't go into the finished bow.

Mark you core lams.  left's and right's, belly side and back side

Osage and maple added to riser
see the hole below my hand (there is 2 holes for zip ties) is for zip ties
Hold the glued lams down slide your pressure strip on there and zip tie it down.
the 1/8" pin could crack out the hole if you don't hold it down.

}}}}===============>>

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
Good tip Mark, one other tip is when you put the glue to those thin veneers,  pick the glass up and flip over on the veneer to pick it up. A thin veneer will split with the weight of glue when you pick it up. Don't even ask...     :dunno:         :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 02:26:00 AM »
Mark Daniels, thank you for the photo and tips!  Now I understand more clearly how you pin the laminations.

Thank you, too, kennym... that's something I could easily see myself doing, and learning the hard way, if you hadn't warned me!

I spent most of the day working on the heat box and the form.  I cut the top of the box off, and installed a piano hinge, along with some handles:  one on each end of the box, and one for the top/lid.

I'm gong to try to complete the box tomorrow, which just needs installation of the bulb sockets, wiring, thermostat and insulation.

I cut the form with my buddy's band saw.  I really have to get a band saw before long... what an great and indispensible tool!  I'll be back over to his place to cut my riser sometime in the next few days, hopefully.

After I finish up the heat box, the next step is to complete the assembly of the form, and then I have to cut the riser.  Then it'll be time to try a test dry fit.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 05:51:00 AM »
Check out grizzly.com for a bandsaw. Get at least a 14" 1hp machine.

http://www.grizzly.com/woodworking-bandsaws

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 08:14:00 AM »
Looking good. X2 the grizzly saw I went with a 17" and love it.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 03:56:00 PM »
Just slap some glass on either side of that form cut-out, and call it a bow!!   :laughing:
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
}}}}===============>>

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2016, 02:05:00 AM »
Well, for now I'm gonna use my buddy's bandsaw, and I'll have to just be content lusting for one someday.  I will definitely get one at some point.  Thanks for the tip on the Grizzly.

KenH, Ha!  I was thinking the same thing!

Mark Daniel, that's a great blog and resource... thanks for sharing the link!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©