Author Topic: Ash  (Read 858 times)

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
Ash
« on: August 31, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
Ok I'm pretty new to making bows I've made one board bow out of red oak with a canvas back and one failed attempt at a Osage self bow years ago. My question is what type of bow is ash (not sure which species just that it's very light in color and very straight grain) best suited for. I've got several pieces that have been sealed and aged. All have been split in half (about 14" diameter) so they were easier to handle. They are roughly 8' long. My original plan was to make spear shaft with them but I don't need that many spears. Anyway any info for a very green newbie bowyer would be much appreciated. Thanks gang

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ash
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
Eastern Woodland Indian bows were basically made from white wood...Hickory, Ash, Locust, etc.  Look up the Sudbury bow and if you can find a copy of The Bent Stick by Comstock...all about making white wood bows.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 10:18:00 PM »
Mitch, you've made a few so that's good.

Ash is a decent bow wood though I'm not too fond of it because it usually chrysals on me.

I'd go 2 inches wide with a 4 inch handle and 1.5 to 2 inch fades.

Double your draw and add 20-25% for a length.

More on my site.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/

Jawge

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
The ash I got was local ( here I sw mo) if it's the same species would it help it any to be backed with glass? Just a thought. I'm open to all suggestions. It doesn't have to be s self bow

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 01:59:00 AM »
No backing with glass! That is about the worst thing to do with ash.
Ash (most)is very strong in tension but slightly weak in compression. the best bet with it is to trap the back heavily and heat treat the belly. Do both of these when it starts to show a bit of set.

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 08:16:00 AM »
Well that's good to know. In some researching I did last night I ran across the holemgaard type bow. I think they were sayin some were made from ash. Is that a good one for ash or did I get some bad info?

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
I've made several Mollegabet and Holmgaard type bows from Ash.  Great wood to work with!
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
Some ash is good; some is poor.  It seems to vary greatly in its density.  I've made a dozen or so from ash and I've concluded that the next ones will all be wide, at least 2" for 50# +.  For a 28" draw, I'd go 70" NTN.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
Yes I mus qualify what I said I have only used fraxinus excelsior. Ours doesn't vary all that much. It is a great bow wood and I made some pretty heavily strained flight bows out of it a few years back that got good distances.
The holmguard design would work well. Remember the heat treating and back trapping though!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
I've never had luck with ash. Like George it frets   when I work it. I have seen some nice ash bows though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 12:38:00 AM »
I'm in the middle of a few projects right now but on the list is an ash bow. It may not turn out worth a flip but I've got plenty of ash and will need something to do this winter. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Offline passion for knowledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
In Ontario, a hell of a lot of ash trees are dying due to Emerald Ash Borer.

I'm hoping to find a good piece.

Beetles only affect the outer growth ring, apparently.

I'm thinking if, I can get a decent piece, all I'll need to do is lose the outermost ring.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Creativity and the search for knowledge are what keep me sane(ish)

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 09:51:00 AM »
I like ash.  Some of my first selfbows were white ash I cut myself.
Very easy to work, chasing a ring if needed.

My first one I took to the last Marshall,  GLLI, showed it to Tim Baker, told me good job!

I would take the advice here, wide and long, also suggest decrowning! Board bows I have seen were nice.

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
When you say decrowning I'm guessing you mean to flatten the back of the bow. Do you not need to follow a ring on ash? Confused

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 02:29:00 AM »
If you decrown it you are increasing it strength in tension - again trap the back or use a piece with a high crown. Don't de-crown! As the back then becomes as wide as the belly and it's strength in tension relative to compression becomes an even bigger gap. Set will result.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »
Be careful that wood cut because of the borer wasn't dead standing.  Ash starts to break down pretty quickly and most of the trees I see cut are already dead.  There are so many dead ash trees around me.  It is pretty sad especially since I have 4 young ones in my yard that I will have to treat from here on out.  It's not too expensive when they are under 10" like they are now but my neighbor spends several hundred per year for the large tree in his yard.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
The tree I cut was live. It was down along a river and I spent all day looking through probably 100+ ash trees for the best there was. Thinking this winter I'll start in on a self bow. Working on a riser right now. It should be done soon

Offline passion for knowledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 07:29:00 PM »
Quite a few are being cut rather than treated around here, it seems. I've asked a guy I know in the arborist game to keep an eye open.

If I find a live but infected tree I think I might be OK.

Always sad to see on old tree die.
Creativity and the search for knowledge are what keep me sane(ish)

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
I'm not advocating cutting live trees. I usually look for dead or dying when I'm out shopping for wood for projects. This tree was surrounded by literally hundreds or other ash trees. The top was damaged a bit but in that area they are so close together with a strong wind the sway and bust each other up. One or 2 trees won't hurt an area with a population like that. I hope it's not a TG no no to cut down live trees

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©