3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What will you do differently this year?  (Read 3749 times)

Offline shootrmn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What will you do differently this year?
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
not spend the most of the season recovering from back surgery... quit my job so I have more time for my bow
shootrmn
Practicing the Dicipline of Steel
Given by the Gods and honed by my father.

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
Get permission to some more places. Get established stands BEFORE season starts. Take a deer either off of the ground or from a tree (without a stand). Take a hog with a flint head.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
LMAO!!!!!! I hear ya shootrmn! I had a job with a 2 week paid vacation for the last 6 years. Over the summer I switched companies and lost my vacation time. I thought it would have been no big deal, that was until deer season started. Weekends and rainy bad weather is what I had to salvage the season with. My current employer wouldn't even give me time off when I had a burst in my plumbing. Needless to say the employment search is on!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
Stay healthy! Missed almost the entire 2006 season! I am really looking forward to October 2007!!!
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
Switch from a longbow back to a recurve. Not bad mouthing longbows, it just takes more time to get good with them and with work and school this fall I won't have the time to devote.
I've had a fear of heights and this year I'm getting myself over it and hunt exclusively from a treestand. I hunt high pressured deer on public land and its about impossible to get close enough to them on the ground to get a shot.
I might switch to shooting wood arrows too but thats kind of up in the air at this point.

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
Scout earlier.
Build more blinds.
Hunt more often.
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline Hersh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
Get my first traditional kill. Have as much fun if not more than I had this year. Hersh

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
For me it is a matter of getting even more "traditional".

Weapon: This year I plan to only hunt with a selfbow and arrows I make from scratch. I can't knapp so I will still use my Zwickey broadheads. I want to hunt this way for small game, turkey, waterfowl and big game.

Gear: I dont want to use anything else modern. No lighters, matches, binoculars, gps, etc. (flashlight ok for safety & tracking). Fire piston or fire drill are ok.

Clothing: Instead of camo I will only hunt in wool plaids and animal skins. Footwear will be mocs and mucluks. No man made fabrics.

Hunting Methods: As usual I will only still-hunt and stalk. Float hunting in canoe also ok.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
Scout more, hunt more. I have a large creekbottom that is WORK to get in and out of down a steep bluff. I am going to set up blinds down in there this year and hunt them.
Hunt more. I am going to British Columbia and then to Africa this summer. I am going to hunt hard. I do not want to wake up in 30 years and say "I wish I had taken more hunting trips". I decided that you only go once, make good memories.

I am also going to Compton in June. No way I am missing this again.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
I'm hopin to kill an Ontario Blackbear, this september, with 5 other Tradgangers!!!! PLUS, hopefully, kill an antelope out near Douglas, Wyoming come august!!! Both bowhunts of course, and I've never hunted either species!!! I cain't wait!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
Hopefully pull a femal bighorn tag.  Shoot the 170 muley that kicked my butt all last year.  Get another crack at the 70 plus speed goat.  and scare lots of elk again   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©