3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Montana vs. Howard Hill Bow....Your Thoughts Please...  (Read 523 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Montana vs. Howard Hill Bow....Your Thoughts Please...
« on: March 07, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
Hey all,

I am going to Bass Pro over the weekend to try out a Bear Montana longbow.  I have never shot one of the Montana's before but I did own a Great Northern Critter Getter about 8 years ago and shot it often.
The reason I am asking what might look like a dumb question is because a Howard Hill bow is on my list as a possible bow for me as is the Montana.  I would like to know whether they shoot about the same or are they VERY different?  How does the Hill compare to the Montana?  Do you have any other thoughts about these 2 bows?  I'd like to hear them.

Also in looking at the price, you can get one of the Hill bow blanks for not much more than what a new Montana costs and all you need to finish one is a rasp, file and sandpaper.

Thanks for your time and help.

Nala

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Montana vs. Howard Hill Bow....Your Thoughts Please...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
No comparison IMVHO!! The Hill is a much better bow especially with a D97 string on it. Faster, smoother, and less (yes I said LESS) handshock! Look around and i'm sure you can find a nice used Hill that will meet all of your needs for about the same as the Montana would cost. I don't have any experience with the blanks, but I have read that they are relatively easy to finish and come out nice. Good luck!!

Spanky
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
I love my Montana and find little hand shock but it is a "low" cost bow as far as finish etc.

Offline bgram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
I had a Montana as my first longbow, I can't argue about the price, because it performs very well.  You can usually find a good one cheaper second hand also, actually there were a couple of 55lb ones floating around the classifieds last time i checked, unless you were looking at a different weight.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
I have done a number of Hill blanks.  I got a local police officer into trad archery.  he shot my Hill and Hill blanks and my big River bows.  he liked my blanks and my favorite Big River, but he had to trade in his compound to keep his wife happy. he tried the Montana said it was harsh not accurate nothing even close to my bows.  he ended up going for a Sky longbow, which was too long for his draw , but a good shooter.
  On the blanks stay with bamboo cores and try to get Craig to trim them as close as possible to the finished size. I go for 7/16'' finished at the string grooves with  rounded sides and probably narrower in the belly than the standard Hill.  I copy my Schulz Legend.

Offline cooncrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
i have a hiil big five and also a montana the montana is a good bow but does not conpare to the hill bow the hill bow is faster less hand shock and just a lighter weight bow youll shoot good with the montana but a lot better with the hiil  my 2 cents
walk softly and carry a big stick

Offline Aaron F.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »
Surely the debate is interesting.

Bear makes a Montana.  Hill makes bows in Montana.  Hill offers a bare bow blank.  Bears of course live in hills.  The hills of Montana don’t have many redmans, cheetahs, or African Big Five game animals, but these bare bows are all found in Montana, but not made by Bear which makes a Montana.  No, there in the hills of Montana Hills are made, none named Montana.  One could hunt bears with these bare bows in the hills of Montana.  Should one in the hills of Montana be confronted with a bear from the hills and not a Bear from Florida, in my opinion, have a Hill.

Aaron

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »
There 2 different longbows! choose ur stick....
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 12:35:00 AM »
I've heard only good things about the craftsmanship of Hill bows; whereas I cannot say the same about the modern Bears.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
Aaron, that's too funny! Thanks for the laugh! You've a real talent, there!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline NativeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »
wow, Aaron you intelect is dizzying.
great thread, just to throw a side question in the mix what type strings do you Hill shooters prefer on your bows, (material, style)
thanks... matty
"how many bows do you need".my wife
Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you , as I gave the green plant. Genesis 9:3

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 03:35:00 AM »
I like an 18 strands FF, the one 3Rivers sells
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline crazymoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
For a production bow and reasonably priced, the Bear Montana is a nice long bow.

I've had the opportunity to shoot one a few times and I like it.

Hoyt Dorado,
Nuge Strings Pro Staff

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
The Montana is not a bad bow for the price and shoots pretty good.  However, I have shot both Hills and Montanas and I do not plan on buying another Montana but I do plan on buying another Hill.  Try the Montana and if you don't like it upgrade to a Hill.  I am sure you could get rid of the Montana on here or the other auction site for close to what you paid for it.  Decisions, Decisions.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
I have a Montana, and I enjoy shooting it. That being said, I have a Northern Mist Baraga that will be sent to me shortly (bought from a TG member), and I have a hunch the Montana will be collecting dust when I get the Baraga. I got the Montana to get back in to longbows after a several year layoff. It has really rekindled my interest, and for the money is a good bow. I don't notice the handshock, but I can't compare it to a Hill, since I haven't shot one. My bow of choice years ago was a Heritage longbow by Rocky Miller, but it now sits idle because I can't handle 68# anymore.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
I like 12 strand D97 with padded loops and .030 Halo serving for my classic nocks. I know a few folks that like TS+ and 450 as well. The D97 really tames the bow and gives much better performance and on my bows, is just as quiet. Just pad the loops and enjoy!
Ken "Spanky" Neal

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
Centaur you will really enjoy that Baraga! Steve makes a great bow. I have a Shelton and absolutely love it, as well as a Superior on order. Steve is one of the best! Regards.

Spanky
Ken "Spanky" Neal

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
I have several Hills, and I like a 14 strand B-50 string. Craig at HH says that the Hill longbow is OK for fastflight, but he doesn't recommend it since he feels it would shorten the life of the bow.

The Montana is a good entry level bow, but is a little different animal from the Hill, in that the limbs are wider and there is more R/D to them, and the grip is a locator style. You can get that on a Hill, too, but most of them are straight or dished.

The Montana is a good bow, but the Howard Hill is a work of art.

JMHO
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Howattman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
No comparison....The Hill is hands-down the better bow.  The only non-Howatt bow I currently own is a Hill Cheetah.

Howattman
Resident Howattologist

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Hills are great bows.  I have one and wouldn't mind another.  But frankly, I wouldn't shoot a Montana if given one, at least not without first putting a rasp to that 2x4 block of a riser and sculpting something of a grip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©