3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sore Shoulder from Cheyenne  (Read 500 times)

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sore Shoulder from Cheyenne
« on: March 07, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
O.K.  I seem to get a sore left shoulder every time I shoot my Morrison Cheyenne.  I like the bow and shoot it well and plan to hunt with it this year.  However, I have several bows all 53# and the Cheyenne is 52# and I can't figure out why I only get the sore shoulder when I shoot this bow.  Same length as some of my other bows also.  Any suggetions?  Anybody else have this happen to them?
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sore Shoulder from Cheyenne
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Which shoulder? What length draw/bow? Is the grip different than your other bows?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
I will put my 2 cents in.  I have worked for many years in the compound bow industry, first producing/selling and now manufacturing.  Here are some simple physics as they apply to compounds, and I would believe to all bows.  "You don't get something for nothing," is a simple way to say this, but when a lighter weight bow shoots as fast as a heavier weight bow, it's not magic; the lighter bow is storing as much energy as the heavier one.  Energy is stored via the bow being pulled, and you have to pull it.  Therefore, you do as much work pulling the lighter bow as you do the heavier bow, although the draw cycle will be (and feel) different.  Morrison's bows are known to be on the upper end of fast trad. bows.  Is your bow noticeably faster than the other 53lb bows you own, say comparable to a bow in the 56-57lb range?  If so, you are doing the same amount of work to store energy with that bow as you are to shoot the heavier bow.  Simple physics: energy in, energy out.  Delivered energy also depends on bow effieciency, but I doubt the Morrison is decidedly more efficient than your other bows.  His bows have a draw cycle that allows them to store more energy, and even if you think it feels the same, or just as smooth, you are doing harder work when you draw it.  Hence, your shoulder feels as though you have been shooting a bow 4-6lbs heavier than usual.  WHEW!  That was way too in-depth, sorry.  This is just an observation based on seeing hundreds of prototypes tested in the compound world, and talking to designers who are way smarter than I am.  If the bow shoots faster, you have to do more work to pull it, simple.  JMHO, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 06:01:00 AM »
I think you like the bow more and shoot it longer.
You shot it enough to wake up Arthur.

Killdeer~simple is as simple does, Sir!
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Stringdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
I have the same problem, but it happens when shooting a Recurve VS a Longbow.  I can shoot a longbow all day with no problems, but when, I shoot a Recurve it only takes a dozen shots, and my both shoulders begin to bother me, so no more Recurves for me.  

I would have to say it's the grip, and the position it puts you in, and the design of the bow itself.  Bottom line is, if it bothers you don't shoot it.  It may be a great bow, but it's not for you, and it's not worth being in pain after shooting cause it will only hurt you in the long run, and cause serious shoulder problems.

Mike
" FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW "

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
I've owned a couple of bows (recurves) that bothered my bow arm shoulder if I shot them much.

Like stringdancer said, I think it was something about the grip and the way I held those particular bows.  

I still have one of them and shoot it some.  The other one hurt my shoulder so bad I had to get rid of it.  It was a good bow too by a well known bowyer.  The fellow that has it now likes it and doesn't have any problem with it.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Maybe the bow loads up in the being of the draw, if so that can sometimes be harder on the body. I always carry tubing to warm up my arms and shoulders before shooting ...Id rest for 2 weeks no shooting any bows ...then start just a few arrows a day say first day 4 good shots...thats it ....add 6 ...then thats it...and so on...ur shoulder need rest...the other thing that has help me is I have a great Chioprator , he keeps me in the game and use to be trainer for the Natonal Champion LSU Football and Baseball TEAM...he is the best in Baton Rouge,LA. good luck
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
Same thing here, it's the grip. Slight locator grip LB= no pain, full recurve grip = pain in bow arm shoulder.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
It is my left shoulder and I am a right handed shooter.  It is a great bow and much faster than my 53# bows.  I also work out on weights at the gym each week so I am fairly well build in my shoulder and arm muscles.  Maybe I will order a riser to match the grips on my other recurves as it seems some here think that could solve the problem.  I'd really like to try to work this out before giving up on the bow cause it really smokes an arrow and I shoot heavy arrows and need the extra speed.
The Lord is my Shepherd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
Also, maybe I can get Bob to send me a Shawnee to try and see if that makes a difference?    :confused:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Stringdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
The bow should fit you!  Don't try to make yourself fit the bow just cause you like it, or it is faster than some of your other bows, the trade off is just not worth it.  Your body will tell you when a bow is not right for you, and I really don't think it is something you can just work out.  Don't risk getting a bad shoulder cause one you do you have it for life.

Mike
" FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW "

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
I know how to fix it with a 100% guaranty.

Send that puppy to California, I will train it to be nice to you and next year or maybe the year after I will send it back and I promise it will be nice to you and your shoulder.

I wont charge you anything ether, It's on the house, but I will recommend to send a dz arrows to make sure the bow is trained right LOL.

It's the way you hold this bow, your using different muscles in your rotator-cuff, just take it a little slower and let them build up.

Or you can send it here    :biglaugh:

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
You got a deal...as long as you send me a Shawnee   ;)  .

PS  Thanks to the folks who have sent me some personal messages on the subject.
The Lord is my Shepherd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
Well if anyone is interested in a B riser C limb Cheyenne I might consider selling it.  PM me...   :(
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
Thats funny Mike, I too am looking for a t/d shawnee

Send some pics my way I might be interested or I can just train it for you while you rest    :bigsmyl:

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
Mike,

Sent you a PM.

Kevin
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
Hi Mike, Does your shoulder hurt on the release or before or later in the day? Where on your shoulder does it hurt? I dealt with a similar problem about ten years ago. Gary

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Hi Gary.  I feel discomfort in my shoulder mostly after I finish shooting.  It doesn't hurt to draw the bow but kinda has an ache to the left shoulder on the outside of the shoulder cap area when I am done.  I have other bows I have been shooting just to check on my shoulder and I don't get any pain after shooting them a lot more.  I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter.  Thanks.    :thumbsup:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
Mike, I have several Morrisons both Shawnee & Cheyenne.  I find I can't shoot a high wrist as it causes me some discomfort.  I sent my favorite Shawnee riser back to Bob and had him match it pretty closely with the Shawnee.  You can match it perfectly cause of the straightness of the Shawnee...but they now feel the same.  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by Diamond Paul:
If the bow shoots faster, you have to do more work to pull it, simple.  JMHO, Paul.
Paul, not sure I agree with you there. Limb design and materials play a very large part in it. If an older "D" style bow draws 55#@28 on a scale and a Morrison draws 55@28 on the same scale, you are holding the same end weight. Theoretically the same stored energy....of course force draw curves play a part in how much energy is actually stored but at the end, both still are holding at the same peak weight. Limb design and the materials used will dictate how efficiently that energy is released. If you are holding 55 with one bow and 55 with another, it's the same weight...what makes one feel heavier or lighter would be limb design and materials....imho.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©