3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting retreat  (Read 598 times)

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunting retreat
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
I would like your opinions and ideas about where you would like to settle down and buy some hunting land or just put up a cabin somewhere . Quality of hunting , variety of game , long seasons , price of land and taxes  all figured in . Where would you get the most bang for your buck . Fred
Greyfox54

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting retreat
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
Well, nobody's jumped in, so I'll toss in a scenario...
Arkansas is far enough south that your winters are usually a little shorter, and I believe their deer season is one of the longest.  In addition they have SOME bear hunting, usually incidental to the deer hunting.  Also, good fishing, year-round...and beautiful country in the Ozarks.
You'd be relatively close to pig hunting (LA,OK,TX), and within a long day's drive of the Rockies.  If you stayed out of the "resort" areas, I would guess the cost of living would be pretty reasonable.
Lots of public ground as well....and good duck hunting in some parts of the state....not to mention the turkeys....
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
Kevin you make it sound so good I want to go now.  :D  I've spent some time canoeing and fishing in the ozarks and I'd say word for word the same as you.  I'm sure there are lots of nice places that offer a variety like this, but I haven't been everywhere yet.  Love the scenery of the streams and hills, but really hate lengthy miserable winters so that would rule out many places for me.  I've ponder this a few minutes and I still can't think of a better location with all the criteria mentioned.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
It's still a long way off for me, but I'm thinking Southeastern Kentucky.  Best I can tell land is cheap when compared to most places, and they have abundant deer and turkey populations and an incredible elk heard that is growing very well.  My only other thought is if you buy here, you have to let me hunt as a finders fee!  :)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
anywhere but Jersey

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
I'd vote southeastern KY or just across the border in TN too.Close enough to "home" to visit family and they visit me, somewhat mild Winters compared to here(foot of snow on ground today-wind at 30mph) and buy, move or ? to Big South Fork and you have all the free hunting ground a man could ever hunt.I picked up one of those realty magazines when I was down there and land does seem somewhat a bargain for a woodsman. One place listed was a small log cabin on 50 acres at 100G, and up here that's a real deal.But as I said even if you bought a place in some small burg or near one around Big South Fork, you'd be in business.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
My wife and I hunt a tree farm about 15 minutes from our house. One day last Spring the owners told us of some land out back of their place for sale that was landlocked. They offered us a right of way thru their land if we bought it since they knew we would not use it for off road vehicle or dirt bike racing. We looked into it and got 23 acres of river bottom land that is essentially forested wetland. We set out some apples last Fall and a camera to see what was on the property. We got a number of nice pics and it looks like there are at least 9 antlered bucks using the property and numerous does and on one end there are lots of turkeys. Here are a few of the bucks.

We call this guy "funky buck".

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
Greyfox,

I am in the middle of doing what you have dreamed. I just moved from Florida to western Montana. Should have the house finished by elk season. Land was a little more than I thought but still a lot cheaper than Florida. So far on my property I have seen Lots of turkeys and deer, elk, bear, coyotes, and eagles. All hunting tags are over the counter. Seasons are generous. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The only regret I have is that I didn't do this 20 years ago. You can get some very good deals for off grid seasonal land that is surrounded by National Forest. I've seen 20-30 acre pieces go for $20-35,000. Perfect sites for a cabin for hunting in the fall or just hiking and fishing in the summer. Land closer in is more expensive but well worth it. If you don't need a town really close by, Idaho has some even better land prices. I almost bought a quarter section(160 acres) there for $100,000. I picked this area because my wife will still be working for a few more years and needed a bigger town close by. Start saving your pennies and keep dreaming. That's what I did. Good luck.

Jon

Online D Harris

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
Montana has my vote as well. I am in the process of trying to acquire land for a log cabin. The prices are much better then the market here in Rhode Island.

Dave

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
I could handle Montana about 6 months, May-November....I have to admit that the winters look a little grim for me.....
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
Why would you want to limit yer selves? With SO MANY GREAT places and GREAT PEOPLE. Go MOBILE...Motor Coach, Trailer or perhaps a Pickup Camper. Eat the Meat, Spit out the Bones, Move on........Just my thought on the matter  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies , I am not ready to retire mentally but physically is another matter . I been a small time mason contractor for over 35 years now . I agree with Mystic almost anywhere but Jersey , I would like to find a place like Jersey was 40-50 years ago . I don't want to retire here and spend all my money on taxes and spend my time sitting in traffic trying to get to the few good hunting spots left . We do have long seasons and a lot of deer even if they are small . I have looked a little in NC and liked what I saw just think it would be a little hot in the summer . I like Geo. but another hot spot . How is Tenn and Ken. in the summer ? Montana sounds great and I've often thought of Id. but it may be a little far from my kids and grandkids , Thanks again . Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
Good idea Vance but what would I do with all my archery equipment , arrow buiding stuff , treestands , clothes , not to mention bows and I have to make room for my Goodwife .I would need a tractor-trailer. Maybe I could leave my bows and such with you ? That wouldn't work though because you're hardly ever home so I wouldn't be able to stop by and swap gear , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
Greyfox, here's my two cents worth.I live in southcentral KY area,1/2 hour from TN. Land is still affordable here, but going up each month. Lots of deer here, good hunting, seems like fewere hunting every year. Lots of public land. If you have a boat, I live 5 minutes from Lake cumberlan, 1200 miles of shoreline. The Corps of Engineers line is the lake cumberland wildlife managment area, 25,000 acres in 5 counties open to the public. Since they have lowered the lake, that acreage is about doubled. This will be low for the next 5 years due to repairs on the dam. I own to 20 acre farms and am looking to buy another 200 next to one of mine. My father inlaw has 800 acres, that the kids are thinking about buying up. You could come down here for a few days vacation during hunting season, i could show your around and some hunting spots me and th wife hunt, might help you decide. Would be glad to do so.
samuel koger

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
Missouri, Kansas, or Nebraska.  Still affordable, moderate weather (hard winter and summer both are onyl 6 weeks long), and you are in the center of the U.S.  8-10 hour drive to the Rockies, to the Canadian border, Dallas, Chicago, and the Mississippi River valley.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »
Southern Ohio
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
Sam , Kentucky sounds interesteing , I was in Colombus Ohio about 20+ years ago to a trappers convention and one afternoon crossed over the river into Kentucky and ate a watermelon sitting on the bank of the river , was a good melon too . Are there any hogs or bear in Kentucky or Ohio ? The summer is usually very busy for me but thats when I should look around , to me everywhere is great in the fall and winter . Thanks ., Fred
Greyfox54

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
I bet that Jersey dollar would stretch a good ways for you in Va. Somewhere between the mountains and the piedmont. You could problably pick up a nice piece of property to go with your house. Not too far south to be microwaved to death and far enough north you can still get a decent 4 season climate. You would still be within "striking distance" of the family. I've seen people from the NE pick VA for these reasons and glad they did.

Good luck whatever you decide Greyfox. I agree life is too short to be stuck in traffic. That's why I'm moving back to rural upsate NY in less than month. Life is good.
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Offline Dick4bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
I bought land in West Central Illinois.  81 acres.  Trouble is it will never be anything but a hunting camp.  The wife won't move 200 miles from the kids.    It's a shame.  My land has a 100 foot deep valley that stretches  a hundred yards across at the bottom./  Has 2 streams running through the bottoms too.  Oh Well!    Dick

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
Hunting retreat? That's anywhere well beyond the sound of motors, and thus, well beyond the lazy mobs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©