Author Topic: Humidity During Construction  (Read 585 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Humidity During Construction
« on: October 28, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
Here in CA, we'v got hot, dry summers, damp, humid winters (fog shuts down the country schools) and variable spring/fall.  I just finished floor tillering a couple board bows and a storm moved in last night.  It's still warm -- 70 degrees with 85%+ humidity, so it's windows open everywhere.  It will dry out again but there are a few more storms on the way.  Do I need to put the wood aside & pick it back up once we start running heaters inside?  Should I continue with the build and just expect a few pounds more draw weight after things start drying?  Or is this just my rookie brain worrying about nothing?  The boards are red oak, if that's any help.  And I plan to make a couple more and that board is sitting on the floor of my garage (dry floor but plenty humid at the moment).
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Humidity During Construction
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
Get it off the cement garage floor. That may be the WORST place to keep it. The wood can draw moisture out of the floor, big time.

You need someplace relatively dry and stable to store it. How about near your hot water tank? Many are in a separate, smaller room, and their function maintains a good relative humidity for bow wood. Put a hygrometer in there and see what the r.h. is. You may like what you find.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
I keep my bow blanks inside the house with the A/C going.
weight the bow in grams, when it quits loosing weight I work on it, bringing it in side every day until finished.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 11:15:00 PM »
I don't tiller bows when its raining or wet outside.  I rough out bow blanks and store them inside the house.  I'll put a bow in my hotbox for a while if I think it still needs to dry out a little more.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 08:52:00 AM »
Build yourself a small hot box, put about a 60 watt bulb in it and store the wood in there.

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
X 2 on making a hot box.  Make it big enough for a form to fit in, in case you want to make a wood lam R/D bow or backed bow with Perry reflex.  One 60 watt bulb in mine gets it to 90 degrees, two bulbs=130 degrees.
Summers are humid here in Wisconsin, too, and it's still damp in my basement shop.  All the wood I put up in the rafters is around 12% MC right now.  A couple days in the hot box brings it down around 8%.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »
If your house has a/c your wood bows and bow blanks should be protected from the elements. You can work on your blank to floor tiller stage without worrying about the M/C but once you begin stressing the bow it needs to be dry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©