Author Topic: Adding weight after the build, my fix  (Read 461 times)

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Adding weight after the build, my fix
« on: November 04, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
I was building a heavy weight hybrid longbow and missed the stack horribly. I had build dozens of bows from this design and form, but this time I did the ridimidick in my head or from memory, don't remember which. Don't do this if you are OLD. Anyhow the the bow came in light 7# and I did not want to shorten the bow. I had used .040 on the back and .050 on the belly with a bamboo core. I could have easily stripped the riser and re-limbed the bow to get the exact poundage but I decided to do something different. It was personal now. I put the back glass on my grinder with 80 grit paper and cut it down a lot, then laminated another piece of .020 glass over it. Now I got a bow that is 9# heavy. Great, back to the grinder and several hours of grinding and checking the tiller and poundage. Hit everything perfect and I am the only one that can tell which bow it is. By the way this bow shoots perfect. After figuring the material and labor ($2.50 hour) apposed to re-limbing the bow it was a toss up. The next time I used a pencil.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Adding weight after the build, my fix
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 01:34:00 PM »
Yes sir the old and remembering and ridimidick sure don't go together.  I have added glass to bows a couple of times that came out light and they are still going strong.  Good save.  You must be a very good craftsman to demand such high per hour wages. LOL

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »
Didn't happen wifout pichers..   :)

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
Posting pics on this site is too much of a hastle for me.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©