3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Keeping Your Recurve Strung???????  (Read 587 times)

Offline camoman45

• Trad Bowhunter
Keeping Your Recurve Strung???????
« on: March 08, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
is that ok??? i leave mine strung, and i figured if you leave a longbow like that then it shouldn't hurt my recurve, true??? or should i keep it unstrung??? thanks for your time and all of your guy's help on here
Indiana State Trappers Assosiation

Offline Mark Trego

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Keeping Your Recurve Strung???????
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
It will not hurt to leave it strung. I believe whats more important is, how it is stored.
" It's Five O'Clock Somewhere"

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
leave it strung BUT don't stand it up with the weight of the bow onj the bottom limb. Hang it on a couple of pegs

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
I have had my strung since 1998 basically all the time.  It has lost 1#. 62" 58#@28 2glass and 2 wood core limb with 10" fade outs. osage/gordon glass
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
Joebuck , what did ya do put ur bow on diet!! LOL  :goldtooth:    :biglaugh:  ...I have cool longbow that over time it develope , what is call set in the bow . Its still good shooter 68 inches, but shes just getting old I guess...I leave her strung if Im shooting her for few days...I guess with recurve you can do better...just remember the wrost things for a bow are direct sunlight exposure and heat ( like in the back of your car or truck...
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
Mine stay strung at all times.  I just hang them riser-down by the string, on two pegs as mentioned above.  The biggest danger to a trad. bow is the stringing process; why risk it unless you have to?
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
I am a bad boy. I leave mine strung all of the time and standing on my lower limb. I have never had any problems yet. But I don't see any harm in it. The only time it should hurt is if left in a hot car.

Offline Unitone66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
Wow.  I have been unstringing my bow each time I use it.  After reading this thread, maybe I will leave it strung all the time.  It sure would be handy to just grab it already strung and shoot a few shots.  I might practice more now.  Thanks for the info guys.

Offline HumbleHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
Have you guys ever un-strung it then hanging it vertically on a single peg, between the limb and the string? Does this cause any damage? Thanks fellows...HH

Online stickbow24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
I also have been unstringing my bow everytime I use it.  This is great info to know.

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
I have a Schafer recurve that has been strung for 15 years.  Still puts a solid fiberglass fish arrow through a 20 lb carp, at least when I do my part.

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
Black Widow recommends storing recurves strung-up and hung horizontally by the string if they are being shot on a regular basis. On the other hand, they recommend that longbows should not be stored while strung-up. Instead, they recommend storing longbows in the horizontal position by resting the face of the limbs on pegs.

With the exception of changing strings from year to year, I have a couple Model MAII Widow recurves that have been stored in the strung position for almost twenty years with no noticeable adverse consequences. These are still among my go-to bows.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
My bows stay strung from Mid Sept to the end of hunting season....January. The only time I unstring them is when I'm travelling.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
glad to read this thread, My Schafer stays strung almost all the time. But I store it proper-never standing-I take it down for stints that I know I will not be able to shoot any or to clean it-take the limbs off wipe it down and let it sit.

But I try and shoot at least a couple arrows every day, just walk back in the yard and shoot what is in the quiver, so I keep it strung.

Dave stated in his pamphlet that it is OK to leave the bow strung as long as it is stored proper and you take it down and clean it every now and then.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
I have always left mine strung, hanging from two points on the string.  In the basement (cool and absent of direct sunlight) I have had the MAIII I am talking about since 1993 stored this way with no ill effects.
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Online sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »
I leave mine strung all the time too. I lay it down on it's side when not shooting. Gary

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
When I see these threads I always tell this same story so here goes. I have a 67 Pearson Hunter that was given to me. When I got it, it had been hanging by two pegs by the string in a guys basement since 1968, it had the original linen string on it. That was 2001, I unstrung it and replaced the string, other than that the bow has been strung continuously for 41 Years. It says 50#s at 28"s on the riser but when I remove the strike plate it read 52#s. I scaled the bow and it is still exactly 52#s. Leave them strung, I o all the time. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
Bob Lee kept a strung Red Wing Hunter hanging over the door of the Wing Factory for years, until Wing closed up. Every month he would take it down and check the bow. Last I knew, after years of being strung, Bob could measure absolutely no change in the bow or its draw force curve. Leave them strung!

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
Bayoulongbowman...your memory is that of an elephant! Last time I refinished it , I took 4# off of it....I'm getting old...but I built 3 sets of limbs also for that riser but they are all on the up and up!
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline J P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
Only time I unstring a bow is when I switch from one bow to another and won't be using any of the other bows for some months. A local bowyer told me that you can do more harm to a bow stringing and unstinging. I hang all my bows horizontally on two pegs from the string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©