Author Topic: Tiller question for fixed crawl and stringwalking  (Read 632 times)

Offline Gurge

• Trad Bowhunter
Tiller question for fixed crawl and stringwalking
« on: December 12, 2016, 11:09:00 PM »
Hey guys, so I've been experimenting shooting with a fixed crawl and moving away from gap aiming (I know I know. Instinctual is cooler. But I wanna...ya know...hit what I'm shooting at) and I was wondering if any of y'all had any idea as to how I should tiller a bow I'm building to accommodate that. my thinking right now is to make the point the sting bends on the tillering tree at my 30" draw be about where my nock would be. Is that the right thinking at all?

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tiller question for fixed crawl and stringwalking
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 05:39:00 AM »
Are you using a notched tillering stick or rope and pulley system?

If using the rope and pulley, draw the bow string from where your middle finger will be, as you balance the relative strength of the limbs so that the nock point comes straight back.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:20:00 AM »
Think about where you would grip the string for say a 20 yard point on. I would guess about 1/2" below the nock of the arrow. Assume your nocking point is 3/8th above the arrow shelf. Then calculate where your middle finger will be on the string when shooting. Place your tree pull rope at that point and tiller the bow so that the tree pull rope travels straight down in a line that Coen sides with your middle finger position. The pull rope will drift towards the stronger limb. Remove wood from the stronger limb to keep the pull rope traveling straight down.

This bow is being tillered for three under.

Offline Gurge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
I'm using a Notched stick. Eventually ill make a pulley tree but this is my first bow I've built completely. Bought a board bow at a farmers/makers market about a year ago and tillers that one because I think they just cut a board into the shape of a bow and called it good. So I've got some experience with that. But while doing this I should follow where the string goes more than the strength of the lombs? As compared to making sure the limbs are equal. I feel like I was over complicating that in my head. Thanks guys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©