Author Topic: My first build-Finished pics pg7  (Read 5157 times)

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
My first build-Finished pics pg7
« on: December 13, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »
Let me begin with, my wife is GREAT and knows me all too well. And this trad stuff is addicting.

The other night the wife tells me she is surprised that I haven't buoght any new bows lately. Keep in mind I usually purchase used bows under $100 that are sound shooters but just need a little TLC and refinish work to get them looking good as well.   So I break the news to her that I am saving up to have a custom built. Her response......you're not spending $1000 dollars on a custom bow.  

I informed her that I intended to keep it under $500 .....or I could just try and build my own for about the same.        :goldtooth:        
Plus, I could do it in stages so all the money isn't spent at one time.         ;)      

To my surprise she told me to make sure and do as much research as possible and build my own so it would be exactly what I want. She knows as well as I do that I will not be happy until I harvest a big mature whitetail with a bow I made myself.

I fully intend to keep a log of progress and ask lots of questions. But keep in mind, I'm in no hurry and have three kids that keep me busy when I'm not at work. So this project will probably be a long time in the making.

the good news is I guess I'm already up to about step 3 or 4 of the build.
Step #1 Get the wife's OK
Step #2 Decide bow style - fiberglass D/R longbow
Step #3 Decide Length - 56"

Wish me luck, and expect lots of questions!!!
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first build-Finished pics pg7
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
For your first one, you simply can not beat going with a proven design and instructional materials from Bingham's Projects Inc.  Many bowyers started out this way.

Good luck and welcome to another addiction.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
Ummm, she's wrong, you will be happy with a wimpy whitetail with a bow you built!!  :bigsmyl:  

But you will love shooting and hunting with a bow you made, and stay after that big one!   :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
For your first one, you simply can not beat going with a proven design and instructional materials from Bingham's Projects Inc.  Many bowyers started out this way.

Good luck and welcome to another addiction.
x2
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 03:17:00 AM »
Good luck  :)

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
For your first one, you simply can not beat going with a proven design and instructional materials from Bingham's Projects Inc.  
I completely respect that suggestion. And I have pondered going that route. However, I can't bring myself to put my time and money into something that isn't truly what I am looking for. I would rather fail attempting what I want then succeed with another.

Instead, I have started looking at another proven design that is pretty close to what I am looking for. I'm hoping that with a little time on the computer I can proportionally shrink the kennym 60" design down to 56". I was glad to see Kenny chime in and hope I don't step on any toes by asking toooo many questions.

I have followed many threads on the bench, and I am amazed and impressed out how great the guys here are at encouraging and helping others to be successful.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
Good luck on your project. I have built many bows on the Kenny M design. He's a great guy to allow all of us to copy his work. I just completed a 58 tip to tip bow and love how it came out. I don't know if your looking for a 56 tip to tip but I found that the 58 inch bow is plenty short enough for any ground hunting and/or tree stand.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
You can shrink it, because I shrank it to 50" for a kid bow. I built one and gave the form to David Flanrey, because he has some grandkids that need bows....

Just be aware, you are also shrinking the draw length.

Keep the nocks a couple inches ahead (toward target)of the bow back to get preload and it will perform better and be quieter too.

I can't remember how I did the stack, but you won't have to change it much for 2" shorter.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »
Thanks Kenny!!
My plan is to shorten the riser to 16" and get the limb tips forward of the bow back about the same amount as they are at 58" on your 58-60 form while maintaining the same deflex.

I draw 28.5-29", but actually prefer the bow to load and have a "hard wall" at that point.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
The 58" will go about 29.5" before it starts picking up weight faster. You should be in the ballpark there. I'll make a SWAG at stack while I'm here. I would guess about 4# under weight you want on the chart for 58" is gonna be close at 56".

I'm taking off 2# for a 2" shorter riser and adding 6 # for shortening bow 2".

Disclaimer: I have no idea on a 56".....  :laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the SWAG. All input is appreciated, scientific or not. Lol.
When figuring tapers into the stack....the thickness is calculated at the ends of the fade?
So a  .090 lam with .001 taper would be figured as .082 on a 16" riser. Correct?

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »
When I sold lams I measured at the butt because all risers aren't same length.  

You have the math right on that way tho.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »
Well..... I think I'm finally done with the design phase.
As I said before, I started with Kenny's design.  Although I'm not sure many, if any, of the original lines remain.
Here's how it ended up:
56" nock to nock
16" riser
Measuring from the back:
1-3/4" Deflex
1-5/8" Refex @ tips
I'll get it cut out later, and hope all the pieces fit together properly.  I didn't wanna fork over the cash to have the form printed on a single sheet, so there will be a little cutting and taping going on.

Now I guess the work can begin.  Well sort of.  I can start on the riser a little bit.  But I'm gonna have to get my list figured so that I can get materials ordered.  I wont make it very far without epoxy.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »
I would make a 1/4" ply template of one limb and half the riser, and use the router way to get exact same limb profile on each end. Prob could search form builds, I can help you later, I got an appointment with a tree stand right now....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
Thanks Kenny.
The form is currently on the back burner.  Waiting on the BIL to come up with some free 3/4 cabinet grade plywood for the form.  He works setting up dentist offices, and some of the equipment is shipped in crates made from the plywood.

Good luck in the tree!!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
Here is how I build forms, the form is sweet, hate the bow off it.....  :biglaugh:  

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=012422#000000
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the link, very helpful!!
I will only be building the bottom form as i intend to clamp the riser section and the rubber band method for the limbs. I'm sure I will have questions about setting up the form for that as I get closer.

On another note.... The original plans call for an 1-1/2" riser cut to center at the site window. I would like to cut the window an 1/8" past center. To keep the riser stiff enough, I will make it 1-3/4" thick and have the extra quarter inch extend past and taper back into the limbs on the side opposite the arrow.
Does this seem feasible?
I should probably add that intend to use three pieces of walnut laminated together to make the riser.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
Alright. Well I think I have asked enough questions and done enough reading to finally get this ball rolling.
Design is all done and template cut and sanded. Hopefully this weekend I can get the plywood for the form glued and screwed. But that's all for today.
Time to get ready to watch some fooseball(the Devils game). GO BUCKS!!

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 04:43:00 PM »
I don't know how you guys do it all time??
I caught myself just staring at the form at this point simply thinking "Man this thing is gonna look sexy!"  Not sure if it's the firms uncanny resemblance to a woman's upper body or what?

Anyways I'm off and running. Form is cut and I used a template bit in the drill press to true and square up the form. Right now the form is about 1-7/8" thick. I will use a flush bit to thin the top 1-1/2" of the form to 1-1/2" thick or a few thousandths over depending on what the lams measure once they get here. Which will be never...if I don't get them ordered.
Please chime in. ESPECIALLY, if you see me doing something wrong!!!

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »
Double, Triple check for squareness...  Anything a little off will multiply by the time it reaches the end of the limb...
   Looks good...  Looks pretty similar to the curves I use in my bow...  Gotta watch those curves coming off the riser...  They could make yah or break yah...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©