Author Topic: Hickory extreme set  (Read 766 times)

Offline Knott .1

• Trad Bowhunter
Hickory extreme set
« on: December 21, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »
I bought a hickory longbow that after about 30 shots the limbs took a lot of set and would not return to near straight. The upper limb has about 6 inches and the lower limb about 4 inches. It is bending almost all at the handle and little further out the limbs. I have never built a bow but I am wanting to start that first one. My question is can a problem like this be corrected by straightening the bow and then correcting the tiller or is it trash. It doesn't perform well and doesn't look well as wall art.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hickory extreme set
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
Any chance of returning the bow?
If not then you have nothing to lose by experimenting.

One option could be to clamp the handle in a vise and slowly heat it with a heat gun. As each limb is heated lightly bend back to straight.

I suspect it may be toast.

Maybe someone else will have different advice.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
Has the bow been exposed to a ton of moisture since you got it? If not that is 100% on the Bowyer imo I'd demand a return. That is what happens if you don't use good dry wood.

Offline Knott .1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
The bow has not been exposed to any moisture other than home humidity. I am thinking this could be a project to get my feet wet before my first build. My concern is that the excessive compression and tension on the wood fibers might be the condeming factor and irreversible.I assume the wood has a much lower moisture now. It has been hanging on the wall for about 9 months. Your inputs are greatly appreciated. You guys really know your craft and I highly respect that.

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
Typically once set like that has occurred it is irreversible. You could try the heat gun trick and see what happens. It's not like you will be losing a shooter but it is effort that could be invested in a project that is much more likely to be fruitful.

Offline Knott .1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
Thanks for your input.I am going to see what happens. Either way it goes I am going to learn something.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 08:00:00 AM »
I would contact the person  you bought it from. How long is the bow and how far are you drawing it? If it was designed properly for your draw length and wasn't exposed to moisture when you had it, I'm guessing the stave wasn't dry when it was built.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 08:04:00 AM »
Yeah, you should use this one to learn something, but maybe not the kind of lesson you're thinking about.

Sounds like it was made with hickory that wasn't properly seasoned. I would say it's junk, and I wouldn't bother with it.

I only ever had hickory do that once. A non-bowyer friend gave me a pile of hickory staves and they were really nice to look at, BUT, he had them stored during the summer under a sheet of plastic, just up off of the ground a few inches. They never dried, stayed moist, and degraded internally. The first bow I tried to make looked fine but stayed bent like it was braced... without the string even on it.

It you didn't mistreat it, you should get reimbursed.

And when you get to making bows yourself, make sure the wood was properly cared for from day one.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »
Sounds like the wood was not dry enough yet to be a bow. I would return it for a refund.

Offline Knott .1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »
Thanks guys for all your input. I am going to try and contact the bowyer first. If that fails I'll experiment with it and maybe finally carve my son knives or a sword out of.

Offline Knott .1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »
Bow Buster it is 68" and my draw length is 29".

Offline Knott .1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
Sorry got the name wrong Scrub Buster. My apologizes.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »
You were right, ole Scrubby breaks a lot of bows..    :)  LOL

You can edit your posts here. Right above where your text is, there is a note pad and pencil icon. Click that to edit posts.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 12:09:00 PM »
Sounds like the work of the artist formerly know as Rudder Bows.

Offline Knott .1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »
No not them. This one has only an **** store. Didn't know that until I tried to contact them. Voicemail to nowhere!They are in the U.S. though. I don't like to give anyone a bad rap.stuff happens. Bought two at the same time.The 58" 30# my son is shooting is doing ok but he is 11 and only draws about 23".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©