Author Topic: HVLP spray guns & systems  (Read 859 times)

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
HVLP spray guns & systems
« on: January 16, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
I'm ready to jump in and try my hand at finishing my first bow, and I've had so much fun building it that I am already planning the next one.

So, I think instead of asking a friend to spray Thunderbird finish on it for me, I want to try to do it myself.  I've read several threads here about the process, and tips, and I think I have decided to spray a few coats of glossy, followed by one or two coats of satin.

I thinking of getting the Finex FX1000  Mini HVLP gun that Roy from PA has and has recommended.  I don't really know what else I need to get going, other than a good respirator and goggles.  

Do I need to go for a HVLP  turbine system, or can I use an air  compressor with various accessories (like water/air separator, regulators and filters)?  I'll be spraying the finish outdoors, in my backyard.  Here in Southern California, I don't thing the temperature, and humidity will be a problem, as long as I choose a good day to spray.

In reading the instructions on the Thunderbird website, I know it's recommended to use  a 1 mm needle or nozzle for the glossy finish, and a 1.4 mm for the satin finish.  Other than that, I don't know what else I need to get going.

Do any of you have good vendors to recommend?

Thanks!

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HVLP spray guns & systems
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »
satin is all you need
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline passion for knowledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 09:26:00 PM »
HVLP - High Volume Low Pressure

Compressor with tank - pretty much the opposite.

Either will do the job.

Whichever you choose, practice a lot on scrap wood before you try spraying something important.
Creativity and the search for knowledge are what keep me sane(ish)

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 12:03:00 AM »
I don't know much, but I did know what HVLP stands for.

I was under the impression that some people use a "step down" regulator" with a standard air compressor and an HVLP gun to accomplish the lower pressure required for HVLP.  I also thought that that method requires some accessories to make it work well, like the aforementioned regulator or regulators, filters, etc.

If I am wrong about that, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out.

So... is there no system that allows HVLP with a compressor?

What HVLP turbine does one use with the type of gun I mentioned in my original post (Finex FX1000 mini HVLP spray gun)?

http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.nsf/Page/Finex+FX1000

Mad Max, I had read several recommendations on various threads to spray a couple of coats of glossy under a final one or two coats of satin, because if you use all satin, the finish can be slightly "milkier," or less clear.  other than the cost of having two types of finish, and a different needle or nozzle, it didn't seem like much trouble to do it that way as oppose dot all satin.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 03:32:00 AM »

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 06:21:00 AM »
I really like my Finex FX1000. You can get a cheaper gun someplace. But I like quality over a cheaper price, especially for a tool you will have for a long time. You will need an air-water separator and an air regulator. Buy a good air-water separator and air regulator....

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 07:45:00 AM »
Thank you, Roy and passion for knowledge.  That's just the info I was looking for!

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
your air compressor will have a nob on it, turn it counter clockwise and one of the gauges will regulate the air pressure for the paint gun.

I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 11:20:00 AM »
I have the Finex FX1000, it seems to be a nice gun and is easy to clean. I bought a 1.8 hp oil less compressor with a 26 Gallon tank, in line regulator, oil and water separators, New hose..everything since I was using Minwax Spar Urethane in the spray can before using Krystal CV.. Thunderbird sells a low priced spray gun that works well I hear. I also like the dip pen they sell for writing specs on the bow. I finish one bow at a time, so the 26 gallon tank is enough for my needs.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »
That's it maxi?
I'll wait for Ben to post one of his high tech computer generated pichers before I believe that.  LOL

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »
Roy
I don't want to hear nufin from you. LOL
}}}}===============>>

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 04:30:00 PM »
---------------------

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
LOL
}}}}===============>>

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 12:06:00 AM »
Having sprayed various kinds of paint/colour onto everything from a car, custom murals to a T shirt and icing on a cake, I've found the best thing to do is try things out on something unimportant before you commit to anything you care about.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 10:41:00 AM »
If you are not going to build a lot of bows Your investment in spray stuff may be more than you want. Your choice. but for a few I would consider a good rattle can finish such as the VHT wheel clear coat. I used it on my last bow with good results. It take several coats but lays down really well and so far seems very durable.

web page
High on Archery.

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »
What Crooked Stic said, or you can use tru oil, Unless you have more uses for the equipment or intend to make alot of bows. I've used tru oil on most all my bows and it is a great finish, as simple as it gets,after 5 coats it looks like glass,if you don't like glass finish just go over lightly with fine steel wool to dull a little, or I make a wet mud pie and lightly wash over bow for a temporary dulling effect.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 05:43:00 AM »
Anthony You have gotten a bunch of good advise so far on the sprayer. If you have any questions at any time you can call or email at any time.
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »
I'm sure you get a nice finish with a rattle can, Mike. That bow does looks nice. However, a spray gun has it all over a rattle can for doing a good job.

One other thing there Major Boot.. They sell a tiny air regulator that mounts right on the bottom end of the spray gun where the air hose connects up. Makes it easier to adjust the air right at the gun, instead of heading over to the air compressor, and possibly tripping over your empty beer cans on the way. LOL

Also clean the gun "asap" when you are done, like in 5 minutes. Clean it good, disassemble the nozzles and scrub it good. Use the thinner thunderbird recommends.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 06:26:00 AM »
I have to agree Roy. Only saying if you only do a few the investment may be the thing.
You really should not spray and drink----impairs walking.   :knothead:
High on Archery.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 06:39:00 AM »
I was wondering what caused that..   :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©