Author Topic: Slimline riser project  (Read 1388 times)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Slimline riser project
« on: January 21, 2017, 12:23:00 PM »
Here are some pictures of the slimmed down riser I'm working on. The bottom half is 5/16" strips of Hickory epoxied together. There are 3 pieces of .030 fiberglass with the center one wrapped in fiberglass cloth then sandwiched between the other 2. This will be used as a beam to cut riser flex. There is a 1 piece of 1/16" phenolic over .030" glass on the belly side of the riser to strengthen and also be the limb pads.

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Slimline riser project
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
I have blacked out the area that will be the limb butt once the back side of the riser is cut and epoxied on the belly side.

This is what the limb and riser looked like before and I don't like how clunky it looks. Time to start the limbs now. I'm shooting for a 66" bow and 52# to 55# at 28" which should be 54# to 58# at my draw length

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
Looks like a winner to me.  I like the smaller risers as well.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »
Can't wait
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 09:04:00 PM »
One thing I'm really enjoying is the cyclone dust collector that I replaced  the double bag dust collector I had before. The shop vac has way more suction than the bag unit did and now the shop vac filter never gets plugged up.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 05:01:00 AM »
They are amazing Ben. I really like mine.
Riser looks nice.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 09:26:00 AM »
Yep...  They work great...

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 02:42:00 PM »
+1 for the dust deputy.  The riser looks really cool too.
The best made plan won't get it made the way you planned.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
Yep I got a deputy awhile back. Dont know how I got by without it.
High on Archery.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
Looks to be a strong riser. Can you use the deputy If you shot the sheriff ?   ;)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »
Only if he wanted to be sheriff Bue  ;)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
OK the limbs are built and mounted on the riser. I cut the limb butt at a back angle to help hold the back side of the riser. Kirk and Sixby said I should drill and counter sink the back portion of the riser on both ends and epoxy stainless steel screw in to prevent the back portion from popping loose. Sounds like a plan to me. I really like how trim the limb and riser combo are looking.

Here's the bow profile with full length limbs.

Now I have a question. In the past I'd measure from the center line on the belly out to half the length I wanted the bow to be. But when I build a string for it they always seem to be a 1/2" to 1" longer than what the nock to nock measurement indicates they should be. Here's a picture showing the centerline and the estimated nock placement at 33" from the centerline. So what am I doing wrong?

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »
Ben, I measure from nock to end of riser, then a straight line to the center of riser.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
Galen I had the same on string length, now I measure half the bow from center and square a mark across the tape(keeps nocks square across limb after profiling). Then file the nocks leaving the line after profiling the limb. Move em toward bow center.

With that and overlays I use a string 3" shorter than bow length.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
I screwed and glued the back part of the riser to the belly side with the limb butts wrapped in plastic so the epoxy fills any void between the riser and the limb butt. I'll be darned sure to remove the limbs before the epoxy sets completely so it doesn't become a 1-piece

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »
I also built some limbs for a belly mount longbow that I built the riser block for a long time ago. My sister-in-laws son gave me the purpleheart years ago but it was too short for a normal length riser. My best friends wife was wanting a bow so the purpleheart worked well with the 13" riser on this style. The rest of the riser is honey locust and the laminations are mulberry both that Ralph Morris cut from local trees.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
I found out something cool about honey locust. I haven't worked with it before. It has a tendency to burn if sanded too hard but when it does the dark grain turns purple. Once the final shaping is done I' ll take the heat gun to it to bring out the grain and it will compliment the purpleheart. This bow is going to be special for my friend's wife.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
Big old thorns Honey Locust.
High on Archery.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »
I tested it with my heat gun to see how much heat was needed. I pushed it some and burned areas but I have an idea now so when the riser is shaped and ready to finish I have an idea on how much heat to use. Matches pretty well I think. Looks like a God thing to me.  :)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 06:42:00 PM »
Here's how the riser looks with the limbs mounted. The limb butts are a bit over 1 3/8" wide and tips about 1/2" with the weight at 65# at 28" by the time I get it narrowed down the weight should hit my 53#-55# goal.  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©