Author Topic: Bow profile thoughts  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow profile thoughts
« on: January 21, 2017, 03:25:00 PM »
Hunting season just ended here in Ky so it's time to think about building my next season hunting bow. I only build a couple per year for myself and my hunting partner so I'm just a shade tree builder. Most real bowyers probably stay with a tried and proven profile but doing it as my hobby I like to change it up. With my stuff ordered I am beginning to think about what I want. I want to go longer than normal, 62-64", and want to come forward or reflex quite a bit. I am going to post a few pictures in hopes of getting some good input from you guys on what you like and why. I hung a couple of my recent years builds and the bottom is a piece of aluminum in some shapes I'm thinking about. I would appreciate some thoughts from some of you, thanks.
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow profile thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »
Middle bow has a great profile if you reflex it a bit just past the fades and leave the rest as you see it.
Top bow will have less stability because the reflex is evenly distributed through the entire limb.
I personally do not like the bottom Aluminum profile at all.

God bless, Steve

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 04:47:00 PM »
X2
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
Too late on the top two bows, they are past builds. I am asking about the bottom aluminum profile which will be my next build, it is voted down so far. Thanks for your thoughts and input guys, I will change it up and post more next week.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
I was a little surprised with the lack of response on this question with so many bowyers here. Maybe you were trying too spare my feelings or something, or maybe it's been covered too much. I didn't even get a smart remark out of Roy!  Thanks anyhow.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
IHHO the problem with that profile is the limbs will have a strong tendency to flip sideways.You can get the same effect of that much reflex by utilizing tip wedges on less radical limb profiles.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
I may just increase the reflex at the ends a little ion the form the middle bow was made on as suggested.
 Thanks

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 11:54:00 PM »
I've been watching this since I've been playing around with design for my first R/D bow.  Don't know much about these.  I do have a kennym from the bow swap a few years back.  What I've come up with is very similar to Kenny's but not close enough to call it such.  Don't want to build a bow, call it a kennym and have it damage his reputation!    :eek:  

I'm trying to understand sixbys critique of the top and middle bows but am still uncertain.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
As far as Kenny's reputation is concerned, your too late for that.    :laughing:    :laughing:    
 I may not understand the critique but have read enough of Sixby's post through the years to greatly respect his opinion, and Kennys for that matter. Hopefully tonight I will have time to get out in the garage and work on it more.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 11:41:00 AM »
Completely agree with your assessment of sixbys opinions.  Just didn't understand the why of it.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
I like the middle bow too, but would increase the reflex so the nocks are an inch toward target in front of riser back .  Gets some preload , quieter and a bit faster too.

And lay off my reputation , you're liable to give me one!    :laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
I would also go with the middle one and the more reflex.
High on Archery.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 09:04:00 PM »
Okay I have pulled out the form that the middle bow was made on, now I'm working on increasing the reflex. How much or how far beyond the riser?

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 09:07:00 PM »
Don't worry; the dog won't attach.

How far to reflex??

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 09:27:00 AM »
So if I put a string on my unstrung bow backwards (without bending) it should come across the riser back with about an inch of clearance (Kenny M. suggestion)? Any other thoughts, what would you suggest, or how far would you reflex near tips?

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 10:44:00 AM »
Tony I just noticed that in your pictures you had different bends on the aluminum in each picture. I don't know if everyone else noticed that but I have to spend some time reviewing the pictures and profiles again to see what you had there. I'll get back with you later today. A little change can make a big difference I've found out with my longbow design. I had a flat spot mid limb that made the brace profile look weird so I changed it by rounding it out about 3/16". This raised the stored energy but lowered the efficiency. I'm right in the middle of building a new bow with the new limb so I'm anxious to see how it turns out with a higher draw weight.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
Thanks BenBow, I don't think I made that clear enough early on. The two top bows were only past builds for reference, I was making small changes to the bottom piece of aluminum hoping for suggestions on which way to adjust things.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
Tony, I saw that, but they had the tips too far forward to suit me, built 2 like that with nocks 4" ahead of riser, you had to be on your A game to shoot em accurately.  I'm not always(usually) on my A game! LOL

So I went with 2nd completed bow with a reflex adjustment.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©