Author Topic: One last finishing question...  (Read 544 times)

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
One last finishing question...
« on: January 25, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
Next weekend, weather and time permitting, I'm going to spray my first bow with Thunderbird Epoxy.  I've read all the instructions from Thunderbird, and the only thing I am hesitant about is the final wipe down with acetone or denatured alcohol prior to spraying the finish on.  Do most of you guys do that?  My concern is if it might potentially cause some discoloration to the bow around the glass to wood lamination areas, and/or the riser overlay areas.  

I used a few coats of the Thunderbird high solids filler/sealer, and after sanding the 2nd coat or so, I did a wipedown with denatured alcohol, and it appeared to cause some hazing in those areas.  I ended up mostly sanding that out before applying another coat or two of the sealer (zebra wood is pretty porous, and it took several coats to fill most of the deepest pores in my riser).

I am wondering if after my final sanding, just using the air compressor to blow off the dust, followed by using a tack cloth might be the way to go, while using cotton gloves or something at those stages to prevent getting oils from my fingers on the bow?

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: One last finishing question...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »
tack cloth

I use lightly damp rag, I get as much moisture out of it before using.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Krasus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
I spray with air then a quick wiped down with isopropyl followed by another blast of air to clean any lint from the cloth.  Wear gloves the whole time.I use nytril, as they have no powder on them.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
Isopropyl has water in. That will raise the grain. Most times when done sanding I blow with air and apply a thin sealer that will get into deep pores.320 grit that after cure then fill whatever pores.
High on Archery.

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 12:17:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions and tips, guys.  I'm leaning towards just blowing off with air and using a tack cloth in the final stage before finishing.  I'll report back when I get around to doing it!

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 06:25:00 AM »
With the filler sealer be sure to sand all the way down to wood just leaving the product filling the wood grain. this product will be virtually gone. Then at this point just remove dust on wood with tack cloth only clean glass with a cleaner like acetone
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©