Author Topic: Quick shop tour, and some bows ...  (Read 1175 times)

Offline ty_in_ND

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quick shop tour, and some bows ...
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by LittleBen:

Originally posted by macbow:
Very nice Ben.
Would like to see a formula for the bow. Like the design.
I can give you the basic rundown of what I do. If you want stack thicknesses I will have to go measure later.

3 lams, 1.5" wide, all lams are tapered at .002"; always hickory back, almost always Ipe belly, core of whatever I've got, I'm not picky although I like walnut. Use a lot of hickory core because I have a ton of it not suitable for backing and I've been too lazy to grind new walnut lams.

12" riser block sandwiched between the backing and the core lam. So from back to belly it goes backing, riser, core, belly. Then a glued on handle block maybe 10" or whatever looks right.

Typically I keep the limbs nearly parallel to ~2/3 then taper to tips. Typically a hair under 1/2" wide. You can obviously go as narrow as you dare. I use the side taper as the first means for tillering. I only belly tiller if I need to after side tilllering. I find the .006" total taper gets me close enough that side tillering, trapping the back, and rounding the corners usually gets the tiller done. It's pretty cool to get a wood bow off the form, cut a front profile, round the corners, quick floor tiller check, and go basically right to a low brace. It's very very quick to tiller a bow glued up like this. The work is all upfront making good lams.

Stack thickness at the fades runs from around .400" for around 35#@28" to .500" at the fades for 60#@28".

The downsides: little bit of handshock. These bows are definately wider than need be, but I do that purposely so that they are not likely to be damaged from overdrawing. I have used this design at 67" long for 65# @ 31" without failure or too much set. Walnut core helps with the handshock too.
Tend not to be the absolute fastest for my shorter draw. The longer bows don't typically top 150fps @ 10gpp and my short draw of under 26". Shorter versions have hit 160, but I prefer longer.
Tend to be a little loud for a wood bow, they end up with a relatively wide flat limb, and it resonates a lot like a glass bow limb does, but I also shoot 3 under which seems to always be louder.

I don't have a printout of the form, but it's nothing special, just a typical R/D form with some blocks for flipping the tips.

I hope that gets at some of what you were looking for. If not just ask specifically, I have no secrets left to keep about my approaches. [/b]
Thanks for posting your details!  The profile looks pretty good on your bows, but it would be nice (as Kenny pointed out) to see full draw pictures.

I was about to make another trilam and I was thinking about a "forward handle" design with a bit of wood on the belly as a means to make the handle "fuller"... what I had in mind is exactly what you posted, so I'm glad someone else has done it before me!  It'll be a hickory-osage-ipe trilam with a purpleheart riser and a figured maple belly handle extension.  

As for your tapers, while I'll still be following a more "standard" thickness design (probably 1 1/8" wide, with the hickory being 1/8" throughout, the osage tapering from 1/8" at the fade to 1/16" at the tip, and starting with 1/4" of ipe throughout and tillering the ipe), it's neat to see your formula work.  I might try it in the future, but instead of using a narrower starting point (as an attempt to get a little more performance/less hand shock from the bow), I think I will try using the same dimensions but using a belly material that's not as dense as ipe (maybe yellowheart/satinwood or yew).

Besides all that, nice work and great work space! Best wishes to you with juggling bow making with work and being a father.  Also, I hope you are able to make a serious attempt out of those yew billets you posted!

:archer:
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 06:33:00 PM »
Nice shop. Nice stash. I can relate to the bow wood hoarding thing. Never enough wood. Never enough room for wood.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »
Nice Ben! When are you coming down to pick up this dust collector and sander to complete the place?
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by canopyboy:
Nice Ben! When are you coming down to pick up this dust collector and sander to complete the place?
Hopefully eventually, but I guess I've been saying that for a while. How does anyone find the time?

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
Sweet looking bows, little ben!
Would love to shoot one of those!   :thumbsup:

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by LittleBen:

Originally posted by canopyboy:
Hopefully eventually, but I guess I've been saying that for a while. How does anyone find the time? [/b]
I'm slowly learning you have to make time. And while it can be hard an require a lot of creativity at times, it's the best path forward now that you're a family man. You'll rarely "find" time going forward.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 05:50:00 PM »
Nice shop & nice bows,  no doubt the kids will keep a husband busy. When I ever build a dedicated shop my bench will be at least 10-12 feet long having the cut off saw in the center, with a secondary bench about 6-8 feet.
I'm forever using the cut off saw.     :goldtooth:

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
As a father of a two-year-old and an eight-month-old, I am pea green with envy over (a) your shop and (b) your bow making ability.  Pretty impressive.
-EVG

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 11:08:00 PM »
Very nice

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©