Author Topic: What Glue for repair?  (Read 569 times)

Offline Poultrygeist

• Trad Bowhunter
What Glue for repair?
« on: April 15, 2017, 11:15:00 PM »
I have a 1960 Bear Alaskan longbow and the wooden part of the lams have separated at the tips for about two inches. The glass seems to be holding fine. I would like to know what glue would be best for this type for this repair?

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What Glue for repair?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 11:45:00 PM »
I would use smooth-on epoxy to fix that separation. You can warm the two parts a little before mixing-- this will make it somewhat thinner, so you can work it into the separation better. Get some into the separation, then use thin unwaxed dental floss to work the epoxy all the way down into where the separation starts. Once you get the entire separation wetted with epoxy, clamp it together with spring clamps or other type of clamp. Wipe off excess and squeeze-out epoxy. You could put an incandescent work lamp on it to warm the epoxy and speed & strengthen the cure.

If the separation was an inch or less, I might use Loctite 420 superglue (or Hot Stuff CA superglue-- the least viscous [thinnest] version). This stuff is thin enough to wick all the way into the separation.

Offline Randy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
I have had good luck with the Loctite 420 Superglue. It wicks into the separation well. Very thin stuff so be careful when you use it. The first time I got it every where. Good Luck

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 10:27:00 PM »
Good tip with the floss jhk1...  I would like to add...  Clean it out if it is a smooth delam with some sandpaper or sharp knife... clamp your bow just below where you think the crack stops so the crack won't spread when you wedge it open to clean and/or insert glue...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©