Author Topic: Really wide 'glass?  (Read 626 times)

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
Really wide 'glass?
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
Crazy Question!

Does Gordon's or anyone make fiberglass laminations more than 2" wide??

Suppose one wanted to make a w.i.d.e flat bow, like a Pyramid, or a Paddle bow, that was say 3" wide at the cut into the handle;  Could that width be glassed with 2 pieces of 1.5" wide glass laid up side by side?
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Really wide 'glass?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »
Mike

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 08:22:00 AM »
I could possibly make you some custom glass... PM me and we'll talk...

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »
I have thought about glueing longbows up 3" wide then bandsawing them to make two 1.5" in bows.  Seems like it would save considerable time if that was your prerogative......

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 01:03:00 AM »
Ken,
I'll bet you could do as you said-- glue up two 1.5" pieces side by side. Mike at Maddog Archery used to make a longbow called the "MUTT" that was a lower-cost bow made using leftover pieces of material from other bow builds. He often used two narrow pieces of "scrap" fiberglass side by side to do the back and/or belly.

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 01:16:00 AM »
I could be wrong about this, but for the "MUTT", I think Mike epoxied the two pieces of fiberglass together side by side (to make a single wider piece for back or belly) before gluing it up as part of the bow. I think this was done so that the two separate pieces wouldn't slide apart during the bow glue-up.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »
jhk1 -- that's good to know, and will be the subject of a future build.  

For the first one, Shredd is making me 3" wide 'glass around .045 thin and 37"-38" long.  How much wood will be between the 'glass is totally up in the air.  Since I don't hunt, I really don't want a 50# bow; I prefer low-mid 30s.  

Based on a 1.5" wide, 54" bendy-handle flatbow I made with .05 glass and .25 core that came out 56#,  I'm thinking maybe this bow only wants to be .125 or a hair more between the glass.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©