3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Knives Re-visited  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Knives Re-visited
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »
Yep different "strokes" or in this case grinds for different folks. Lookin good Doc, like I said Buddy keep reachin up and havin fun.     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
Nice blades as always Tippet. Bring a few of them "dogs" with you in May and I'll show you where to dispose of them.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
Hey Doc you do know I collect clunker knives.   :rolleyes:   So if ya wanna donate those clunkers to me I have room. I would share one with JC.   ;)      :readit:   .Shell is yelling at me right now telling me how Shameless I am   :goldtooth:      :biglaugh:  . A But really Doc you make a great knife. As does Mr.Campbell and Rob and Loyd Lippert.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline JasonV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the link Doc - I ordered both.
The beaten path is for beaten men.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
Jason, You'll get a lot out of them.  I still go back and pick up tips I've missed on previous viewings.  I flat grind like Harvey Dean does on the right side of the platen but I hollow grind like Johnny Stout except freehand without the rest...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
Since you won't sell one of your knives, we HAVE to work out a TRADE for one someday!!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »
Brian,
I am waiting on some very fine files to finish up the Hurley Predator knife.  I want to do a design on the entire blade.  This knife just needs to be special. Once that is finished, I'll send it up to you for it's sheath.

Now I was thinking maybe if you are willing, I'd send 2 more knives for you to make sheaths.  The plan is:

1) One will be mine (cause I'd like to have one of your sheaths too!)

2) The other will be yours  

You choose which one you want.  Just a small thank you for doing those St Judes sheaths...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 11:54:00 PM »
Lookin' good Doc!
What are you grinding on? I've been looking at the Coote grinders. Just 'cause KMG etc. are waaay out of my range.
You don't know what you started!!!
Then again, mebbe you do  :thumbsup:

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
Doc,

That would be AWESOME, but I feel like you would be getting the short end of the stick.

WOW!!!  I feel like I just won the Lottery!!!

I can't believe I am going to have an honest to goodness Tippit Knife!!!

WOW!!!!  Did I say that yet?  LOL!!

I am actually kind of speechless which is rare for a Baptist Preacher!!

Thank you is all I can muster right now.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
Brian,
The stick is more than even for making those St Judes knives look all prettied up  :)   Thank you.

Larry,
Did you get set up with a forge & have you been pounding hot steel?  It kinda gets contagious just ask my wife  :)   I did get a KMG with all the goodies thanks to Mr Campbell & his horse trailer.  But shoot look at all the money I'm making...oops I forgot I don't sell anything!  Anyway I'm having fun.  That grinder is so nice, I can't believe I was actually making knives with that sorry old Sears grinder.  Sorry I'll miss you at the JLMBH...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2007, 12:56:00 AM »
Oh boy . . you bet!!
Been forging & beatin' on hot steel since last March! Got the whole business for forging goin' on right now except the grinder.
Can't seem to justify the $$ to the Ms. I actually used a KMG for a little while & IMO they're at the top of the list!!
Wish I could've taken it home w/ me! I know exactly what you mean about the small grinders. I'm using a 1x30 Delta right now . . it's killin' me!
I was really lookin' forward to seeing you @ the BH too. Have a whole lot of forgin' stuff to talk about (read that as questions).
Man . . I thought knapping was addictive! Nothing compared to this!

Thanks for the starting push!

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2007, 12:59:00 AM »
Larry, Send me some pictures of your stuff.  I'd really like to see it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »
Oh come on guys!  A 1x30 Delta is all you really need (just leave me my delusions, please!)  I visited a knifemaker up in Long Lake, NY this last summer... he's got himself a Bader!  I tried not to drool too much on his stuff, but watching him grind out a knife in no time flat was cool to see.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
Jeremy, That's the whole thing...how quick and nice those grinders work.  I'm now spoiled but what the heck, I'm too old to be grinding my fingers on that old Sears  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
I'll jump in here for Larry, I bought one of the Coote grinders like 13 or 14 years ago and it's still going strong. I mounted a 2hp motor and did a little modifying on it to fit my needs and am happy with it. Done a ton of grinding on it Picked up a variable speed KMG when I got Doc's so I'm in hog heaven now. Oh and I still use one of them old Sear's occasionally too, hang in there Jeremy  ;)

Dang this is great to see all you guys getting excited about forging and grinding knives.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by JC:
Dang, and to think...20 generations of Japanese sword makers "wrong", just like that     :rolleyes:    

You do know what the advantages were right? At one time many of their methods were done out of necessity due to the poor quality of steel available to them. Even the folding of welding steel to made blade was desired back then. Today it simply isn't required or desired for function. We still do it because we are romantic and think it's purty.   ;)

One reason not everyone does it is because it increases manufacturing cost. Hollow grinding a blade it consider more difficult to perform than all other grinds...or so I've been told.  :)

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
But then again, if you have money to spend on CNC equipment...

CNC Autoload Hollow Grinding
Our 6 Axis auto loading CNC Hollow grinder will produce a high volume of hollow ground blades at minimal cost to the customer. 4 - 5 step grinding processes which can take 4-5 setups can now be done in one setup. Complex shapes or curved blades are a simple proposition. Tooling is inexpensive and can be developed and running in very short lead times. Material can be ground hard or soft with predictable and repeatable finishes. A large capacity high volume paper and magnetic filtration system keeps coolant clean and contaminant free to prevent burning and premature wheel wear. Wheel sensors constantly adjust for wheel wear and compensate the control for less that .0002 variation per grind.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
basically most companies won't use top end steel because tooling cost to much and it wears very quickly. They also don't want to spend the time required which can be as much as 10 x more effort. If you use low quality steels by todays knife blade standards you need to all of your statements are true. If you use the best steel and have the time and money...none of them are.

I do agree about the differerent strokes though.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
From another high end manufacture that uses VG10 V30 ATS34 and such for blades.

7. Hollow Grinding
The next step in blade making is the hollow grinding process. Here, blades are ground (computer machined) to achieve a desired shape and slope from the top of the blade down to the cutting edge at the bottom. Predominantly, we use a "semi-hollow" grind to create an edge that will be sharp out of the box, retain its sharpness, be easy to re-sharpen and enable the blade to maintain its strength. Robotics is used for grinding to achieve a consistency not possible with hand grinding.

These cross-section diagrams show the four most common grinds used for knife blades.

Semi-Hollow - Creates a nice balance between a sharp edge and overall blade strength. It is the most common grind used today.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©