3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: zwickey no mercy sharpening  (Read 475 times)

Offline flightmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
zwickey no mercy sharpening
« on: March 09, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
okay guys i am going to sound like a complete and total idiot /slash newbie. but i have never shapened a single bevel head before  any suggestions would be much appreciated. i have only used the magnus double bevel heads before. i cant use the tru angle type sharpening system, correct. thanks  for help
Toelke ( Troll)

Striker bow (stinger)

Compton Member
PBS MEMBER
"In the wind he is still alive Fred Bear "

Offline Bob Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: zwickey no mercy sharpening
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
I have several zwickey no mercy heads and they are double beveled.
Bowhunting is not just a way of life, it is also fun.

Offline lastmanout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
If it is a single bevel, then it is like a wood chisel or a 'tanto' edge. Use a ink marker to cover the ground edge, then carefully stroke (with new file or wetstone).  The ink will be worn by the stone/file.You want the ink to be worn completely across the factory bevel, so you are matching the factory angle. Many light stokes are better than a few big ones. Once you have a good edge-lightly stone the back (flat) of the edge just a few times to remove the burr formed from sharpening the front. Then hone lightly for final sharp edge. Make any sense?

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
Use a file and knock the angle down, then take the burr off the back.  You basically sharpen them just like a Grizzly but I find the Zwickey to be much more cooperative.

Here's a good link, and there's a tutorial on the how to forum as well.  If you're not handy with a file, we have an alternate method on our site but I'd recommend using a file first.

http://aussiebowhunter.com/images/PDFGRIZZLYBROADHEADS.pdf
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
ttt
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©