3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Everyone's fav bowfishing gear  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Everyone's fav bowfishing gear
« on: March 09, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Reading a recent post I was surprised that a couple guys I know had never tried bowfishing before.

I'd thought that was impossible since fish are such a natural and the fact that I've been doing it and enjoying it for 50 odd years now.

I thought it would be helpful for the new guys for a few of us to list our favorite gear for bowfishing.
Give them some food for thought and all.

Here's a simple rig that I've used since the beginning. Effective, but there is better/more efficient gear out there.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Everyone's fav bowfishing gear
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
Charlie, is that Dacron or FlyLine?
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
The Sting-a-ree type point is a classic. It won't pull back out.... it can reverse if the fish spins and is prone to plane in the water.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
That's either fast flite or heavy braided nylon... can't remember right now.  Someone will know and it's tougher than all get out.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
50lb Bear Minuteman and a screw in version of Charlie's reel.

Offline BONES in Virginia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
I use a Bear 76er with an AMS reel and Muzzy arrows and points.
 http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v663/soldier321/

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Curtis Kellar and a carp taken with his prefered rig... close face spinning reel.

They are fast, place little drag on the arrow, and are relatively inexpensive.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Here's my rig....56" Bear Grizzly 45# with AMS Retriever Reel, fiberglass arrow with Muzzy point....

In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
It's my opinion that someone new to the sport would be well served to fork over the money for the AMS system and skip all the cheap stuff.... That's how impressed I was with Jason Wesbrock's set up on a Texas trip a few years ago.
  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
My rig for the '07 Sweat...

60" 58# Pronghorn, AMS retriever, big beardy guy.

For a first-timer I found the AMS to be faultless. Far simpler & less for me to get wrong than with a Zebco setup.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
Last year was my first time bowfishing, I used a 52" wing Redwing hunter and a tape on reel. This year I'm getting set up now, I have a 58" Grizzly and was going to put a AMS reel on it. But now I'm interested in what you others have to say about reel types, I like the looks of Curtis's setup now I'm undecided.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
I type to slow   :banghead:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
Here's a pic of a "shoot thru" type reel... of course I'm shooting "over" it. Just couldn't get use to the shoot thru concept.

Last time I posted this pic the fashion police had comments about my choice of clothing.... I just don't meet enough women on these jaunts to worry about that stuff.   ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
Like Charlie said; I prefer an AMS rig. I'm also fond of Muzzy and Shure Shot points with AMS safety slides. The particular AMS Retriever I use is going on about 15 years old now and still working great.

I first got started bowfishing 20+ years ago when my grandfather gave me his old green Bear spool and a fiberglass arrow. Since then I've used everything from closed face reels to shoot through hoops, but prefer the AMS.

One of the best things about Shure Shot points is that if I'm wading down the local river and I break a point, I can just screw a new one on and be right back in the action. With most other points, I'd have to bring an extra arrow since the body of the point is glued directly to the shaft.

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
Browning Safari II 51# bow with simple Bohning spool to hold the line and fiberglass fish arrows have done me just fine.  Im sure there are more efficient systems out there but for me you cant beat a simple and reliable rig like this and it compliments my old recurve quite well.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
For Me I've always used a 808 Zebco reel and I really like the Sting-a ree points like Charlie is Using they are one piece so You don't lose the tips if they unscrew.

I am going to try the AMS real this year just for something differant Everyone seems to like them and I have forgotten to push the button before. Probably be shooting a PSE coyote again this year 45# at 28"

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
I like the AMS and use it mostly when chasing big gar but for numbers shoots and smaller fish, I don't think you can go wrong with the Zebco 808/888 or Synergy reel.  For me, arrow retrieval is ALOT quicker with the spincast type reel.  I like Muzzy, Sure Shot, and Sting-A-Ree points depending on the fish I am after and how warm the water is.  Seems like I get alot more pull-offs in real warm water so I switch to the Sting-A-Ree.  Bowfishing is one of my favorite activities with archery tackle and technically, how I got into traditional archery.

Offline rbaustin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
PSE kingfisher 50#, screw in Bear fish spool, 300#braided line, Muzzy arrows and tips......lotsa fun in the off season....Nile perch favorite target
Shoot straight and tell the truth

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
I like the AMS reel, ShurShot points and safety slides. I feel a really good gaff is important as well.  :bigsmyl:  
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
AMS, Shure-shot with safety slides, Quinn Stallion recurve. I shoot a lot of fish each year and participate in the Great Lakes Bowfishing Championship. Probably 95% of the shooters there use AMS. It is not quite as fast retrieving your arrow but MUCH more dependable. I've had too many break downs on spincast reels to depend on them in a tournament situation. I like the Shure-shot because they hold fish well, easy to remove fish, and it has a shorter distance from the point to the fins then most other heads so it grips better on shallow hit fish.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©