3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: my latest bow -inthewerks  (Read 619 times)

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
my latest bow -inthewerks
« on: March 09, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
got the urge after the season ended to start on another bow.  last couple times I ordered all me stuff from binghams, but a friend and fellow bowyer recommended fedoras.  more choices, better prices, wealth of knowledge, etc.

I'm shooting for a 56 or 58" recurve around 60-65 pounds @ 27.5".  so, my friend and I crunch the numbers and come up with a limb thickness of about .240.  so I settle on on boo parallel, and one boo taper, one veneer of something (figuring on staining or dying the belly and sides of boo).  decide on cocobolo for the veneer and riser and wedges, and my friend had a chunk of padauk I can use fro addition riser material.

please do not take this as a nock on fedora's!  and I must preface this by saying AT LEAST HE CALLED to ask!!!!  but he called and got me all confused.  asked me what I'm building and   convinced me I'd be way under weight and I needed to beef up the thinkness, and use one 040 glass and on 050 glass....figure he's made way more bows than my friend and I so I gotta trust him, so I let him dictate the thicknesses.  

then a few weeks go by, I get a call while in Ohio for my grand-mother-in-laws funeral..that they have more questions.  Call them back and now there are questions on the wedges I ordered.  I ordered a 'parallel-taper' wedge cause the flat spot (parallel) makes the limb mount alignment easier.  he says he can't make them as I ordered them (9" long with a 3.5" parallel, then taper.)  he askes again what I'm building, again I tell him a 3 piece takedown recurve, shooting for 60-65...based on the binghams forms and plans.  he almost sounds offended, and says that they basically built there plans close to his bow designs, and that fedoras is the industry leader and has been so for decades.  fine then, I'm trusting you....so I tell him to do whatever he does on his bows for the wedges.

I finally get the order in a week ago (placed the order at the end of january).  excited to get started.  heres a pic of the stuff I got.

its going to take me a while to get this assembled  as my wife is traveling frequently for work  but figured I get this started....

firt thing is I'm going to regrind the wedges to the way I normally use them....heres how they came:

10.25" long with only a 3 inch taper...and a concave taper at that.  not saying it wont work that way, just not what I'm used to.

and I'm gonna cut the glass in half and tape it with masking tape.

(my main worry about all of this is the beef up in thinkness...hope I don't end up with a 80 pound bow!?!?!?!?)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: my latest bow -inthewerks
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
Are not fedora limbs narrower than most?  Kinda like Black Widows?  Been a while since I seen one.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Yah...was hoping someone with experience in both (binghams and fedoras) could provide some help.  I was kinda thinkin I'd end up needing to go narrower than normal, we'll see.  I'll start with the normal profile and see how it goes...

got no work done today..the honey do list seems to be exponential...

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
keep us posted, looks like a fun project that I am sure will turn out looking fantastic.  

Gotta love it when someone says someone else's bows are based on "their" design.  Don't think Fedoras has been around as long as recurves have.

Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
ttt
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
Most Fadora takedowns  I have seen are made with 2 .002 tapers and glass.

Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
I used Fedora----Once!

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
thanks for bringing it back up tarz..

perckerwood (it even feels funny just typing that:) ):

if there were 2 .002 tapers and two .050 glass pieces, that would give a butt thickness of only .104 without the wedge.  impossible!  even if you meant .020 that would still be only .140   are you sure  :)

remember, I'm not downing fedoras!  just looking for info.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
Marc, I think he meant two lams with a .002 per inch taper each, instead of the 1 taper and 1 parallel lam you're using.  Depending on the taper you're using and peckerwood is right about the Fedoras (you're right, it does feel funny typing that) that could add 5# to your bow right there.

I like the looks of the narrow limbs anyway, so keep us updated   :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
jeremy...got ya...makes a little more sense now...doh!

that could be were alot of the confusion about thickness came from...I was thinking parallels and tapers and he was thinking tapers...weird..

technically I'm actually using 2 parallels and one taper per limb (if ya count the coco veneer)....  :)

got the glass cut and some other stuff done...and may be doing the glue up this weekend.  got see if david's around as he said he wanted to observe  (read: get covered with epoxy)   :)

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
Ok...finally picked up the hotbox, form and hose from my friend Mark on thursday.  I stained the boo with minwax Sedona red...thinking it would set off the paduak part of the riser....

I did a dry run, then last night glued up one limb, leaving it in the box overnight.   have a busy day today so probably wont get to the other limb til tuesday night.  I'll get some pics of the 1st glue-up (this was my first solo glue-up) tonight.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
heres a couple pics of Limb #1 after glue-up....this was my first solo glue-up of a glass bow..

side profile:

Belly boo stained with 'sedona red' minwax

another profile

Coco under glass

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
Looking good Marc!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
Man those limbs look nice.  I thought I was going to grow old waiting on the next installment though!  :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
yah...takin my time with this one   :)

I wanted to get limb two in the box last night but after 9 hours of work, 3 hours of sales training then ice hockey til 11pm...it was all I could do to sand the glue and peel the masking tape.  I got WAY too much glue on the tape and it took me forever to peel....anybody have any tricks to getting glue covered masking tape off limbs????

I'll get # 2 in the box tonight and  start working on the riser.

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
Lookin good! I leave the tape on the limbs until it's time for finish. After profiling the limbs the glue is usually gone.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
yah PV...gonna retape to protect them...I just had to take a peek   :)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Yep,Marc,sometimes you just gotta look!!  :biglaugh:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
second limb cooling in the box now.  we're leaving for disney this weekend so I don't know when I'll get to the riser....

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
That Cocobolo looks awesome!!!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©