Author Topic: Tips and tricks thread  (Read 83115 times)

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips and tricks thread
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2019, 07:12:01 AM »
So Kenny you are moving the piece on the left to raise and lower the top part? Is that two screws holding the top part on the right?
High on Archery.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2019, 07:48:00 AM »
Yes sir
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline bobbykelley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2019, 09:34:07 AM »
Thanks Kenny. That looks to be simple to make. I tried another one and it turned out ok but my bandsaw isn't the best.

Offline Mike L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2019, 08:41:29 PM »
Can someone send a pic and a brief explanation of the lamp cord on the pressure strip thing?  I’m wondering when it’s necessary, how they come into play, and how they’re attached to the pressure strip.
Mike L.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2019, 08:53:41 PM »
Mike, if you are talking a rubber band form, the cord ( or 10/3 electric wire)goes right down the middle of the pressure strip to put more pressure there. Because the bands pull the edges down tight and the center of the limb doesn't have enough squeeze.

Opposite of the air hose form...
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2019, 08:59:16 PM »
They are used with rubber and pressure systems.  If you use a fire hose they are not needed.

The purpose is to prevent the bands from applying too much pressure along the edges and cupping the lay up.  If you use the lamp cord you would glue it down the center of the pressure strip.  I never did the electric cord but used rope.  You also need to round the pressure strips at the edges.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Mike L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2019, 01:16:00 AM »
Awesome.  Thank you.
Mike L.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2019, 07:51:05 AM »
That's pretty cool Pat!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline pditto613

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2019, 08:33:26 AM »
It works really well. Locks the tool in tight so you can lean on them a bit if you need to. 
"the older I get the better I was"

Offline Flem

• Trad Bowhunter
  • "Don't quote me on that!"
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2019, 09:07:28 AM »
Yeah Pat, that's a great idea! Thanks, I'm going to use that one for sure.

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2021, 01:24:53 PM »
I'm betting that no one has the balls to try the tip i'm going to mention... I've mentioned it before and everyone cringes.. It's on my bow building video and I have gotten many replies on how i should do something different, but here it is.

I use a 1" wood chisel to remove the tape off of my glass. I used to use the cheapest tape that I could buy and then use the chisel to start peeling it and then again when ever it would tear.. some times it peels, sometimes i would have to shave the tape the full length of the limb. When I switched to Bear Paw glass, I had to switch to frog tape.. so when I went back to Gordons (currently using Gordons) I just stayed with the frog tape.

I've had employees and friends do this to help me out. In over 2500 bows, i have yet to have anyone scratch the glass more than what would sand out with 220 grit. I doubt there has been more than 5 or 6 scratches the entire time.

Now, if you can't be trusted with sharp things or aren't very talented, this may not work for you.

No tricks to it, just always lay the chisel flat on the glass.

BigJim
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 01:50:19 PM by BigJim »
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Shredd

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2021, 01:42:41 PM »
Here is a trick with tape...  When I was at the auto paint supply...  I got to talking to a painter about tape...  He said when he doesn't want tape to stick so much he presses it against his T-shirt...  The tape picks up lint and such and is less sticky, which peels of easier...

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2021, 01:52:18 PM »
I'm sure that works shredd, but I bet the pressure put  down by the airhose will still make it stick.
BigJim

Shredd

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2021, 01:55:46 PM »
Here is another tip for you green horns...   Make yourself a layup schedule or list for gluing up a bow...  Have a check list of everything that needs to be done before glue-up time...  It sucks when you mix up your epoxy and you forgot to put tape on your glass or you forgot to make wedges for your limbs...

Roy maybe you can get this thread up in the brown section underneath vocabulary...  I think this thread should always be seen and not lost in the mix...  Or make another section perhaps in green or another color of threads that stand out and or are important, that should not be lost in the mix... Maybe these threads could also be more refined and remove jokes and such as to make it easier for the person searching for info...

Shredd

« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2021, 02:02:52 PM »
I'm sure that works shredd, but I bet the pressure put  down by the airhose will still make it stick.
BigJim

I have not really tried the method myself...  Most of the time I can peel the tape off pretty easily although it does rip now and then...

By the way there was someone looking for bowyers in GA. on FB in one of the archery groups...  Your name was mentioned...  Possible sale for yah...

Offline Flem

• Trad Bowhunter
  • "Don't quote me on that!"
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2021, 02:03:19 PM »
I would try that for sure. Thats always a pain for me. Does the tape have cured epoxy in?  Did you do any special prep to the chisel?

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2021, 02:08:19 PM »
I'm betting that no one has the balls to try the tip i'm going to mention... I've mentioned it before and everyone cringes..

<snip>

I use a 1" wood chisel to remove the tape off of my glass.

That doesn't seem crazy to me. How sharp is the chisel? I have an old cheap chisel I use for cleaning glue squeeze out and tape off wood and it works as you say. Mine is not super sharp, though. I sharpen it to 1000 grit on the stones but don't go higher or put the secondary bevel on it. This is smooth enough and sharp enough to peel tape nicely but it doesn't have the super sharp corners to dig in and leave a groove.

Mark

Offline pditto613

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2021, 02:15:59 PM »
I used to use the chisel method too, Jim.   Then switched to frog tape and didn’t need it anymore.  But you’re right it was the best way for stubborn tape. 
"the older I get the better I was"

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2021, 03:51:16 PM »
Any wood chisel.  If it ain't sharp enough.. sharpen it  :biglaugh:
I started with a new one and haven't sharpened it since, but I don't use it for much else.

Most don't realize how hard it is to scratch the glass that way.
Bigjim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©