Author Topic: Tips and tricks thread  (Read 78691 times)

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips and tricks thread
« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2021, 02:18:29 PM »
If you drill another hole in the fender washer off center about half way to the edge and position your screw right you can rotate it to the stack.
High on Archery.

Offline oldandslow

• Trad Bowhunter
!
« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2021, 02:52:58 PM »
I sure do appreciate these tips!

Offline Sologuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2021, 06:46:03 AM »
Rody , don’t fergit the preacher stick , preachers never lie...

Use this to set thickness kinda like John does with the blocks .

It’s just a .005 taper marked every .010 “

Ken...can you explain this to me alittle...perhaps via email    Tom
Appreciate every day....take nothing for granted

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2021, 08:00:04 AM »
Very easy, make yourself a .005" per inch taper, mine is 2" wide, and use your calipers to mark every .010" thickness on it . Then use it to set the fence on your bandsaw for thickness. It will be close and you get a feel for it in a few times setting.

I know there are more accurate ways, but it works and is easy to use.

On stuff like bocote and other more expensive wood, I cut a scrap first to make sure it's right on.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2021, 06:02:55 PM »
A couple.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2021, 10:57:41 PM »
Hey, Bue, you look pretty good with your hair pulled back.  :shaka:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2021, 12:04:14 PM »
Yeah, I’m a goodlooking spring chicken.

Shredd

« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2022, 11:20:31 AM »
Horizontal Fence...

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2022, 01:03:35 PM »
Now that would be a slick way to cut tapers!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2022, 07:57:01 PM »
Now that would be a slick way to cut tapers!

I don't know, I think I'll keep cutting tapers on my bandsaw...  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Buggs

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Beware the simian swine jockey
« Reply #152 on: January 02, 2023, 10:55:54 PM »
Not sure what this is, but since I know their are some here who make their own micarta and other composites, I thought I would share my experiment.

So I have used powder coat paint powder as colorant for epoxy in the past. It works well and you can get some interesting colors and effects. I use it often when making "G-10". I got to thinking about what would happen if the mix was baked like powder coat would be, post epoxy cure.

I don't have any high temp epoxy, so I chose this Smooth-On epoxy. Mostly because it sets fast and the recommended cure is 1hr at 200deg. Which meant I could take it straight from the cure to the powder coat oven and be half way there. It's a little old and the resin had crystalized, so I thru it on the wood stove to re-liquify.

I mixed up a total of 12gr epoxy and 2.5gr powder, plus a pin head of black pigment. 20% powder is a lot and pigment overloading can cause cure problems with epoxy. Not that its important, but the color is a metallic bronze and with the black its very dark and impossible to see the true color in a picture. The color is a experiment also.

So it went straight into a 400deg oven after the 200deg epoxy cure. The powder paint calls for 10min@400deg and I did not start the clock until the mix hit 400 on the thermometer gun. Don't know what was going on for those 10min, but when I took it out it was kind of rubbery. As it cooled down to room temp it became very hard, much harder than a fresh cured chunk of plain epoxy. Unfortunately I don't have any equipment to measure just how hard, so I did the scratch test and the ball bearing drop test. It took some force to scratch with a stylus, I would say similar to dense Marble. The drop test was interesting. I did a base line drop on my concrete floor and then on a granite surface plate and then the epoxy mix. The rebound was about identical for the granite and the epoxy. The concrete had less rebound as expected.

The stuff is seriously hard! I'm not sure if its any more useful than it would be un-baked. I think I will make some
G-10 scales with this method and see how it holds up

Ooo, who, who hangs free

Offline Buggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2023, 01:15:59 PM »
I forgot to mention, I was listening to the Van Halen debut album on vinyl. It also served as my epoxy timer. :biglaugh:
Ooo, who, who hangs free

Offline Buggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2023, 11:00:09 AM »
Noticed this morning the jar has cracked, thats 36hrs after it cooled to room temp. It was not cracked yesterday. I'm guessing the mass has contracted a slight amount, but it's so tightly adhered to the glass, it fractured. It's also cracked around the circumference.

I don't usually mix in glass, so I don't know if the cracking is typical. I used a small canning jar, so I know it could take the heat.
Ooo, who, who hangs free

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2023, 07:00:10 AM »
Cool Buggs..

Offline Buggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2023, 09:12:46 AM »
A follow up to the epoxy experiment. I did make some "G-10" with the powder paint. I wanted to try some different reinforcement, so I used some .002" plain weave glass and some hardware store glass cloth.
Both were failures! The .002" glass was so thin and lite, it was hard to cut into strips, had static cling to everything and would not, not bunch up in the form. Too bad because it would have made some dense laminate. The store cloth (3M Bondo) was a reject only because any cut edge would un-weave itself to the point where all the edges were unusable. I suppose you could spray some glue on before cutting, but it would take a lot of glue, would gum up the cutter and might impede the resin(?)

My next experiment is going to be with the biaxial sleeve. I think it will make some nice laminate. Not much cutting since its two layers and only the ends are raw. It's not the most cost effective material, but it will lay up fast.
Ooo, who, who hangs free

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: January 19, 2023, 01:41:53 PM »
Feets don't fail me now!  :thumbsup:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

AlvinByars and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©