3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tree saddles,slings,hangy dangly things  (Read 1369 times)

Offline turkeyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
tree saddles,slings,hangy dangly things
« on: March 09, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
does anybody use these instead of stands?would like some info/pro's & con's.also need a list of some different brand names,& do you have a problem shootin a longbow out them.
thanks keith

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tree saddles,slings,hangy dangly things
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
Twenty five years ago, I bought an Anderson tree sling, and used it a bunch for many years.  Not so much  now, as I enjoy more comfortable perches...but I will still dig it out for "aggressive" hunting at times.   I think many of the newer sling style products are somewhat of an improvement in comfort.  Still, I could spend 4 hours easily with one.  Some keys to success  using them are having good footsteps, footholds  to afford  you some  movement around  the tree.    You will not have problems shooting with them, and really,  you will feel "safer" at times contorting your body  for shots.  They work well for  those who learn to use them properly.  I still use mine  a  lot as  a safety harness,  too, and it  works  great as a deer drag.     I  consider it one  of  the  best  purchases I  ever made in hunting gear.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline turkeyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
thanks mark, i was thinking of using one mainly when im power scouting for fresh rut sign,rather than walking all the way back to the truck to get a stand,or rather than building a ground blind.i dont like to scout with my stand on my back & i am more successful hunting whitetails out of a tree.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
My Anderson tree sling rolls  into  a softball sized package and easily slips  into  a fanny pack.   Also, getting into  trees you would never get  a  stand  into is a big plus.   There really are many advantages at times  to them.    Good luck.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
I use Guido's Web below made in Leland Ms.I am a total convert to this style hunting for 3 years now.
Pro:  Deer can't see you in the tree
      Comfortable for all day long sitting
      Lumbar support
      Can Not fall out. I sleep in mine
      360 degree shooting(with a little practice)
      lightweight

Con:  It takes a little practice to figure out how to walk around the tree and shoot

PM ..me if you need additional info about QuidosWeb. I have NO $ with this compnay just a customer

http://www.guidosoutdoors.com

Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline turkeyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
thanks guys,keep em coming,im learning some new things  here.

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
Like Mark, I have an anderson tree sling I got years ago.  I also just got a tree saddle this past year at a good price used. I like both, but still use regular stands too.  I use the treesling during the early season since the tree saddle I got is the one with the neoprene or if I am walking far like out west.  The tree saddle is more comfortable, a little safer to set up in and turns better.  I have several hang on and ladder stands set up year round in trees with good back cover and use the treesling or tree saddle when I set up that day and hunt or in trees that are more open.  I can say by experience  that deer (both mule and whitetail) have a harder time making you out in one then a regular stand.  I've had both look at me while I was moving and either come closer and/or stop paying attention when I stopped moving.  I guess they think I'm part of the tree.  If you are interested in the tree saddle I suggest you check their website.  One bit of advice that hasn't been said all ready, a cheap pair of gray rubber knee pads from home depot help a lot while using the tree saddle.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
I have used a Treesuit for years. I agree with Mark up there. Good steps are a must. The Guidos web looks interesting.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
Please go to the product review forum and read the one I did on the  TREESUIT.
 I love it.

Believe it or not I feel that being in one 6 hours plus feels better than a conventional stand cause you can stretch and find a whole bunch of positions to get into.

Also when game is approaching I can rest my bow arm over the strap and hold the position easily. Many times in a conventional treestand you can get made when you try to hold the bow out as game is approaching.

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
I too have the Tree Saddle.  I got it late last season, so I am just learning it though.  I am really excited about it, as I like the mobility and light weight it offers.

I will most likely give up conventional stands and simply use my Tree Saddle when I am not hunting off the ground.

Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline frank the hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
i am new to trad gear & have not tried my long bow out of my tree saddle yet but alot of time in it with my compound & love it. it is one of the best hunting tools i got. very safe, set up in trees very fast you well be glad you bought it. have a great & hunt safe.

Offline GreenJeans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
I have the Guido's Web.  I love mine.  It has a comfortable seat with a spreader bar that keeps you away from the tree when seated.  Good back support as well.  I haven't used a conventional stand in 2 years.  You do need to practice shooting out of it just as any stand.  I typically use lone wolf sticks to get up the tree and have multiple steps on one strap for standing on and walking the tree.
Remember--Some People are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Some people can paint the Sistine chapel, some people can finger-paint, and some people just eat the Crayons....

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
I don't have anyone to help me put up stands for the most part. And getting safely (at least feeling safe) in and out of a regular treestand is difficulty for me. I'm a fifty year old woman and don't want limitations. So, that being said, I really liked the treesaddle I used last year. I can prep and hunt out of a tree without any help if necessary. And I can set up pretty high if I want to.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
I also use a woodpecker drill and bolts to get up the tree (from Simmons Archery). I can hold the drill and enough bolts to get me up 18-20 feet in one hand. The treesuit is on my lowback like a fanny pack,very light.

The 3rd rope harness on the Treesuit lets me climb the tree with both hands free to drill and put the bolts in. The Berries.

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline turkeyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
thanks guys & girls,keep em coming.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
9:00 Monday.. Keith, shouldnt you be workin?? LOL!! yea, me to.. intreasted in this thread from our talk..  Dave
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
Here is a good thread that Joebuck started thats got alot of good info

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=051826
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline turkeyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
I use the Deluxe Tree Saddle( leather version) with Rapid Rails and 4 strap-on steps on one strap for footing around tree. Well I did until some sorry no good for nothing , mangey, nappy headed , worthless sack of monkey dung, Stole my Rails and steps. But he was nice enough to leave my hook-up strap 20' up the tree.  :knothead:
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Arrow Slinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 12:35:00 AM »
I used the tree saddle this past season and love it. I have quite a few spots ready to go so I can move around alot with just one stand. I don't have to worry about somebody spoting my stand and using it when I am not there or it not being there when I get to my stand.I also like people very rarly see the spot you are hunting and move in on you. Like sombody already said above make sure to get some knee pads!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©