Author Topic: Pecan Logs  (Read 773 times)

Offline LaBill67

• Trad Bowhunter
Pecan Logs
« on: August 10, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »
Men, I have two pecan logs measuring 58" x 10" and 72" x 15". I would like to know what you think is the best way to prepare them for seasoning. I have split the smaller one into quarters. The larger one is still whole. They both still have the bark on and they were cut today. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pecan Logs
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
seal the ends with wood glue and spray the bark with diesel to keep the bugs out.
And split that other log in half.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 06:18:00 PM »
Take the bark off now if it will come off easily, it is very labor intensive to get it off after it is dry.

Your probably won't have bug problems if you get the bark off. I like to seal the back as well after I take the bark off, with hickory type woods it may or may not check.

I seal with shellac.

Offline LaBill67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:07:00 PM »
Max, thanks. I'll try to split it but it is so large I may have to use my chain saw.  What do you think about that?  
Thank, Eric. I have read that taking the bark off now is easier.
Question for you guys, would you work the quarters down somewhat to speed up the drying or just set them aside to season on their on?

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
I bet if you kerf the log with a chainsaw or circular saw, it will split relatively cleanly. But chainsaw always works to just quarter it if you prefer.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
You can work a few of the quarters down to floor tiller size to help speed up the drying time but be sure they are well sealed, ends and backs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©