Author Topic: Help me pick components  (Read 725 times)

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me pick components
« on: August 25, 2017, 11:03:00 PM »
I am looking at getting Kennym's build kit and have decided I want to go with a 62" 55# pound bow.  I have built the Bingham's 60" recurve and the Bingham's hybrid.  They were very basic builds with actionwood risers, black glass, and no embellishments.  On a side note, both came out good (by good I mean shootable - there are plenty of cosmetic errors lol).  The recurve finished a little heavy.  I was hoping for around 60-62# at my draw but it was 68#   :eek:   . I strung it up and was out shooting in my back yard before finishing and after twenty arrows I thought "man - I am out of shape!" Then I put it on the scale.     :knothead:  Should have measured the stack thickness before glue-up.  The hybrid came out good.  I have always been a recurve guy but this may have changed my mind.  It is quick and hits where I look.  I am really liking this bow.  I will try to get some pictures up as soon as I get the finish done (Massey topped with two coats of spar urethane - about to start the urethane now).

Anyway, back to the point.  I am having trouble deciding on wood and glass.  I want to add an overlay on the front of the riser (two layers at least), and two accent stripes in the riser. I am thinking about trying a radius for the riser inlays. I am going to use colored glass over maple lams since that is what the kit comes with (third bow and I am trying new stuff - no point in getting all crazy with clear glass and veneers just yet!).  All of the options are listed on his site.  I think I am going to step away from black glass for the limbs on this one and get one of the colors (caramel, green, light brown, dark brown).  Any suggestions on wood and glass color?  I looked around but with the photobucket debacle I can't view the images I am interested in. I am also looking at doing exactly the same for another recurve, but might do vertical stripes in the riser - have not decided.  Nothing fancy - just plain but good looking for both.

So - what does everyone think? Don't worry - if it turns out bad I can always spray paint it!   :biglaugh:

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me pick components
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 11:57:00 PM »
You can't go wrong with kenny. Great prices, great products, and quick service. Kenny's not too bad either. He's no Roy, but still pretty good.    :laughing:  
Here's a few I made for my kids using kenny's lams and riser wood. Might help ya decide.
Dark brown glass,elm and walnut lams and bocote and maple riser

Medium brown glass, maple lams and grandillo riser

Carmel glass, maple lams and zebra and purple heart riser

Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me pick components
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 12:52:00 AM »
Those are nice! That is a big help seeing those different woods next to the glass.  And you covered almost everything.  If you did a green glass you would have the whole set!   :)  

I never considered the caramel glass and zebra and I had no idea what the granadillo looked like on a bow...I am starting to get some ideas   :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©