Author Topic: Bow re-finish  (Read 615 times)

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow re-finish
« on: September 09, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »
I have been re-finishing an old Darton recurve. I have gotten the old varnish off using a mild paint and varnish stripper and I have sanded the riser to 120 grit. The glass ( green glass ) looks streaky as if it was sanded. I was going to sand it lightly by hand with fine grit before varnishing.
What grit should I sand to? I don't want to lose any draw weight as it's just legal for moose hunting here. I want to take it along as a backup bow.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow re-finish
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
If you sand the limbs very much you will lose weight.  I use 220 grit to sand limbs when building.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
180 or 220. Hand sanding with 220 on the glass will not change the weight much unless you really get carried away. Just stop when you get to bare glass.
High on Archery.

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
Thanks guys.I barely touched the limbs, mostly the edges to clean up some dings and what looked like rasp marks.
Any ideas for re-attaching the original decal? I was able to remove it intact before stripping the bow. The bow has a couple of coats of spray poly on it now and it's looking much nicer than before.
I want to get a few more coats on it and make a seal skin rest and strike plate for it, then I'll try and post a picture.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©