Author Topic: epoxy  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Jackpine Boyz

• Trad Bowhunter
epoxy
« on: September 11, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »
Hi, looking for some sort of epoxy or glue for putting tip overlays on my self bows and occasionally a riser.  I want something that has ability to expand or gap fill given wood isn't always perfect.  For flat surfaces I use titebond 3 as well as my backings.

I've heard good things about the expanding gorilla super glue with blue top.  Otherwise I was looking at smooth on but don't have a hot box nor a desire to build one.

The joints are typically pretty smooth as I'm sure people will mention that, but sometimes with pin knots and other wood irregularities there are a few areas with small gaps to fill beyond what I want to attempt with titebond 3.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: epoxy
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
I've used TBIII, 2ton epoxy, and gel and thin super glue, all with good success. The epoxy or gel super glue would fill irregularities.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 05:45:00 PM »
Ya don't need a hot box for smooth on. It dries in 24 hours at 70 degrees.
However, when doing bow work such as tip over lays or risers, you should prep your mating surfaces to be darn near perfect.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »
Yep
darn near
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 06:33:00 PM »
I use smooth on for overlays.  Do not use a hotbox to cure, I just make sure the room is above 70 F.  Sometimes will set the bow under my under cabinet lights where it is a little warmer.   It is slower than super-glue, but I am not in a hurry and have never had a tip fail with smooth on.  And sometimes my mating surfaces are not "darn near perfect"    :D
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 08:46:00 PM »
I mostly use Gorilla Brand Super Glue (blue top) it does not expand. I sometimes use smooth on.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:30:00 PM »
Smooth on for everything.
I'm like Mitch. I use the heatbox for initial glue up and that's it.  Most of my bow work is done in the evenings, so for tips and overlays, I just shine a small lamp on them overnight and by the next day they are set and ready for shaping.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline pditto613

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 10:27:00 PM »
Agree with Robert on the blue cap gorilla glue. How did you survive hurricane Irma Robert?
"the older I get the better I was"

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 11:14:00 PM »
Don't use any expanding polyurethane glues...  In my opinion they mostly suck and I only use them in certain applications...
  Go with ea-40...  It will fill your voids... Like they said above, keep the voids minimal... Use minimal clamping pressure...

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 01:22:00 AM »
Smooth-on here too. I used CA once but it is tricky.
The best made plan won't get it made the way you planned.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 05:25:00 AM »
I ain't messing around. I know Smooth On works great. I too put a shop light near each overlay. As surface prep, I drag a fine toothing plane blade across each surface so there's no way to starve the joint of glue. No worries.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »
I only build fiberglass backed bows. Even though I use the Gorilla Super Glue I think Smooth on is the best for overlays. When using Smooth On and a lamp with a 75 watt bulb I use a meat thermometer to make sure heat stays between 85 and 90 degrees F. The weight of the clamps can twist the ends of your limbs if too much heat is applied

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by pditto613:
Agree with Robert on the blue cap gorilla glue. How did you survive hurricane Irma Robert?
I have had to work pretty much non stop since Saturday..We went to our house yesterday afternoon,no electric, I made a bunch of ice jugs and put them in freezer and fridge before storm. no damage to house or bow shop, but truck loads of small oak limbs all over the yard and barn. We cleaned out freezer and fridge and took contents to my office where I have a 150kw diesel generator and 500 gallons of fuel. Hope you guys also came thru it with no big problems too.

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Robertfishes:
I The weight of the clamps can twist the ends of your limbs if too much heat is applied
You don't need C-clamps...  Trust me...  All you need is a little spring loaded clamp...  Knock wood I have not had a tip fail yet...

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
I use rubber bands to "clamp" tip overlays. I cut the loop and wrap it. It gives the right tension and holds the overlay evenly so you get a good glue joint. Cheap and very effective.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »
I use rubber bands to "clamp" tip overlays.

Me too.. And have never had one come loose or off using smooth on.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 04:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shredd:

I The weight of the clamps can twist the ends of your limbs if too much heat is applied
You don't need C-clamps...  Trust me...  All you need is a little spring loaded clamp...  Knock wood I have not had a tip fail yet... [/b]
some recurves are not flat at the tip, so a c clamp is needed.
then when you file the string grove in, it springs back.

them flat bow people dont no nuffin.    :)
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 05:06:00 PM »
At least flat bow folks know how to spell, enough..     :)

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
what?
}}}}===============>>

Offline pditto613

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »

Originally posted by pditto613:
I have had to work pretty much non stop since Saturday..We went to our house yesterday afternoon,no electric, I made a bunch of ice jugs and put them in freezer and fridge before storm. no damage to house or bow shop, but truck loads of small oak limbs all over the yard and barn. We cleaned out freezer and fridge and took contents to my office where I have a 150kw diesel generator and 500 gallons of fuel. Hope you guys also came thru it with no big problems too. [/b]
"the older I get the better I was"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©