Author Topic: Draw Length  (Read 859 times)

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw Length
« on: September 30, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
Not sure if this topic belongs here or not.  Would it be a benefit if I marked my arrows near the tip exactly at 28" with a stripe to ensure a perfect draw every time..?  Does this break the rules in say 3-D or target shoots..?  Are clickers ok to use. Just thought I would try it,  although I know working on my form and technique is more important than any gimmick or gadget.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw Length
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 09:26:00 PM »
I have no actual information, but it seems reasonable enough to mark your arrows ....  you could also set them up so that the back of the point was exactly at the shelf at full draw.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 10:25:00 PM »
"point was exactly at the shelf at full draw"  I would rather have 2" out front, I use the point for aim. Some guys go for 3-4" out front.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 12:08:00 AM »
Whatever feels good to you is what you should do !
People say thay have a 27" draw, but if you shoot a horse bow (what ever) you can draw back to your ear.
Just do the same thing ever time and develope your shooting style.
my 2 cents
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 01:05:00 AM »
What Max said...  Do the same thing every time... If you are hunting or doing 3-D which means you are usually shooting shooting 15 to 25 yards, that slight bit you are off should not make a bit of difference...  If you start looking at and lining up  a mark on your arrow I think that would take you away from your aim... If you want to get the exact same draw I would use a clicker to train with and get your muscle memory and body mechanics down and then ditch the clicker... If you trained enough your body and timing of your draw will tell you when to shoot...

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
I have one arrow with a black sharpie ring around it at my draw length.  It's an unnatural effort to try to see it during the draw.  

I put it there to control the draw length when shooting over a Chrono.  It works for that purpose but otherwise it probably would not be useful.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:
I have one arrow with a black sharpie ring around it at my draw length.  It's an unnatural effort to try to see it during the draw.  

Hey Wolfie...  I think it would be a hassle trying to line up that line every time looking down the arrow...  I think I have a solution...  Just bring your girl with you everywhere you shoot and tell her to holler 'Click' every time the line touches the bow...

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
I don't know how you could see a line on your arrow very well.  Only one way to find out...

Back of the point works well for me on selfbows where I don't have a clicker.  But better with broadheads than field tips.  Sometimes, the transition from shaft to tip is so smooth, I can't feel it.  Yes, your gaps will widen considerably.  It's just part of the compromise.

I like clickers.  But if you're trying to win at 3D, then do a feather to the nose or some other trick to verify your draw.  If you're not trying to win, then do whatever you want.  If you have no intention of winning and are just out to practice for hunting, who cares what the technical rules are?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 03:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shredd:

Originally posted by monterey:

Hey Wolfie...  I think it would be a hassle trying to line up that line every time looking down the arrow...  I think I have a solution...  Just bring your girl with you everywhere you shoot and tell her to holler 'Click' every time the line touches the bow... [/b]
If you momentarily see the tip during aiming you will see the line.  Just a thought guy, no harm in asking.    :D

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 04:58:00 PM »
I would think it would be counter productive for you as the shooter to be looking at the line. If you are staring at a line, you are not concentrating on the spot you want to hit.
You could put the line on and have someone stand beside you and watch the line. After a series of shots, they could tell you how much you varied.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©