Author Topic: Bow forms & bamboo!  (Read 753 times)

Offline Cicada

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow forms & bamboo!
« on: October 07, 2017, 07:38:00 AM »
Hi guys & gals,after reading over 10-12 forum pages and just about every post,i realized the people here really know what they're talking about!!
So many awesome bowyers,im glad i joined up!
I do have 2 questions that i was hoping someone could she some light onto?
First question pertains to bow forms that will end up in the oven with smooth on.What in your opinion is the best grade plywood for this?
Second question had me scratching my head but im sure it's been answered many time here.
Bamboo flooring,i noticed most of it is thin strips edge glued together then sandwiched to make floor panels.Are you just resawing that down at the glue joints making them about .125" thick then sanding them down to finished thickness?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,thx!!!
With Regards, Jessy!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow forms & bamboo!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 12:59:00 PM »
Most horizontal bamboo flooring is laminated in 3 pieces and will//can de-laminate. I always cut out the factory glue joint. With vertical bamboo this isn't a problem.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »
Most any grade of multilayer plywood will work. 1/2 or 3/4" 3 or 4 ply cdx for instance. Ya just buy whatever thicknesses you need to get the width you want then glue and screw them together.

There's no need to buy cabinet grade stuff. Just don't use OSB or MDF chipboard/particleboard. They're tempting because they're nice and smooth and flat, but they don't have the same level of strength that even the cheapest mulitlayer/directional plywoods have and they can break apart when the air hose is inflated... I know this from personal experience.

For my last couple of presses, I've used Microllam LVL beam material. It's strong too and can be bought by the foot at many lumber yards. Heck, sometimes they'll just give me pieces that are too short for home construction use, but are plenty long enough for bow presses. Look for their cutoff pile and ask about them if you see something that will work for ya. They come in a few different widths and I think they're usually about 1 3/4 or 2" thick, but they can be planed to whatever thickness you need. Hope this helps.

Offline Cicada

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
Perfect....I'll look into the LVL for sure.Thanks Bow junkie!
As far as the bamboo is concerned,after separating it into 3 layers there's still glue joints about 1" apart.Is that normal for bamboo?

Offline Cicada

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
Almost forgot....thank you JamesV as well.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Cicada

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
Thanks Kenny!
Have you ever used horizontal bamboo?

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »
I have used plywood, LVL and MDF for forms.  I prefer MDF it comes exact in thickness.  It also sands to shape very easy.  I have three or four MDF forms, a couple have had at least 60 to 75 sets of limbs glued up on them without issue.  I did skin them with .375" plywood to give them added strength.  Only draw back for me is they are probably a little heavier than a all plywood form, of course I am old weakling LOL.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
Oh I forgot to mention, I am not a fan of bamboo flooring for lams.  Much prefer good old hard maple.  It has been around forever, other woods and bamboo mauy be as good but, certainly no better.  Of course that is only my opinion and your mileage may vary.

Offline Cicada

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the input Mr Stuart....I'll take that into consideration upon building my next form.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©