3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow building question  (Read 252 times)

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
bow building question
« on: March 09, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
I am in the process of building a R/D Longbow similar to a Griffin Bow. The poundage at this point is 68 lbs at 28". I would like to drop it to 50 lbs at 28". How much do I need to narrow the limb to get close to 50 lbs?
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow building question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
If you used the heavy glass you can take 4 or 5 pounds off that way.  As for the limbs being narrower, we don't know where you are at.  If you havent put a narrow belly on them yet you can cut 5 more that way.  Thats about it.  Limbs are too thick.

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
The limbs are 1 1/2" at the fadeouts and narrow to 3/8-1/2 at the nocks. I think the glass is .40. Bingham's recommended the limb thinkness when I called them, so I do not think the limbs are to thick. I will take off a small amount on each side and see how it goes.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
You could probably take some of the pundage down by sanding both the back and the belly of the limb.  I have recently taken over 15 pounds off of a bow this way.  Just be careful to sand each limb about the same so you don't screw up your tillering.  By reducing the poundage this way the limb seems to retain its stability more than by making it narrower.

Brad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©