Author Topic: pyramid bow advice needed  (Read 675 times)

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
pyramid bow advice needed
« on: November 28, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
Hello guys. I probably need another board. I ripped this board (red Oak) to 2 inches in width which exposed a defect in the center. After removing the defect I'm left with a 72inch long by 1 9/16 wide tapered to 5/8 on the tips and its 9/16 thick. If I finish this bow out at 72 ttt any idea what kind of draw weight ill be looking at? I can always chop it down and make a kiddy bow but I know of no children to give it to. The grain is perfect in what's left. It was also the only good board I could find and I'm really wanting to make on right now while I have time. Is there a way to turn this board at only 1 9/16 wide into a functional adult bow? That is with out ordering material to back it with online.
 Thanks guys.
Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: pyramid bow advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
Yes! Start tillering to the weight you want to achieve. If necessary later you can pike it a small bit at a time until you get weight. I would think you can get 45# to 50# with these dimensions. Because it is narrower it will have to be longer but just how long you'll have to find out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: pyramid bow advice needed
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
Thanks Pat. Ill finish this one and see what happens. The other piece is 72 long 1 5/8 wide and 3/4 thick it should work well for Sam Harpers build along as those are his basic starting dimensions.
Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©