3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feather Quality  (Read 375 times)

Offline Stringdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
Feather Quality
« on: March 09, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
I have been using TruFlight feathers for many years, and lately have found the quality to be poor to say the least. Has anyone else found these feathers to be lacking in quality, or is it just me? I'm just tired of spending good money for feathers, and getting very low quality.

Mike
" FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW "

Offline Magyar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feather Quality
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
Mike,

I recently switched from Gateway to Trueflight for the same reason.  I'm able to examin them before I purchase them.  If you have to mail order them, then your kind of stuck with them unless they are realy bad.  Sort of like our politicians!!!   :biglaugh:
paulfields

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
AMG feathers are very good.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Feather quality is going downhill.  Not really the feather merchants' fault.  Feathers are a byproduct of turkeys grown for food, and they are grown so fast nowadays that they don't live long enough to mature and develop larger/longer, well veined and oiled feathers.  Unfortunately, that's not a joke.  Pretty much have to go to wild birds to get good feathers now.

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
I hand processed some turkey feathers last year and they held up better than any I've ever used. IMHO they're a lot more durable and I think their a lot prettier than any storebought feathers I've had.
The only problem is that wonderful "burnt feather" smell that comes along with grindin them!!!!
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »
Our turkey flocks were down last fall, and with this two inch layering of ice we have I am afraid that feather picking is not going to work for me this year.  Who handles AMG feathers?

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 04:02:00 AM »
I don't have a problem with the feather as much as the way it is trimmed. I find quality has been diminished and probably by the fact that the manufacturers can not keep up with demand.Maybe have to start collecting and finishing our own>
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 06:11:00 AM »
laddy, I believe Joe Skipp sells AMG feathers.

I'm planning on trying them the next time I buy feathers, as the Trueflights I got recently (I believe they are Trueflights, since they came in an unmarked plastic bag)are of pretty poor quality.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
Joe Skipp does sell AMG. Pretty good feathers too.

Trueflight still has the same quality that they have been running for years (That is as far as grind and cut, what Orion said is true also).  In comparison AMGs quality I would compare to Trueflight as far as I've had about equal percentage that I've had to scrap when fletching.  The grinds are very comparable, but the biggest difference is the price.  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »
I have not found any problems with  Trueflight feathers.  It is the feather I use the most.  AMG makes a feather simular to Gateways.  The Quills are thicker than Trueflights, and  AMG's color's are the brightest.  I wish they made a shield cut, I really do not care for AMG's full length feathers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©