Author Topic: Converting a 1 piece to a 2 piece takedown  (Read 1108 times)

Offline arachnid

• Trad Bowhunter
Converting a 1 piece to a 2 piece takedown
« on: December 05, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
Hello Tradgangers.

I`ve got a 64" longbow that I built (my second bow ) that`s just laying around unused. So I thought I`ll convert it to a 2 piece takedown (easier to travel with). Also, it`ll be a fun experiment.

I`ve watched Big Jim`s 10 video series on his FG sleeve. His method looks a bit complicated. I also  found this build along-
 http://piratesofarchery.net/bb/viewtopic.php?p=97891

This one looks too simple...
I guess what I`m looking for lays someware in between. So if anyone have some experience on convertion a bow into a 2 piece, I`ll be more then happy to have some info.

If you need some pictures of the bow- let me know.

Thanks in advance
Dor

Offline Dazzad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Converting a 1 piece to a 2 piece takedown
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 07:55:00 AM »
Hi Arachnid,
.....Too simple?? I had a look at the link and would not underestimate the difficulty of executing this take-down system in an accurate and functional fashion......Before i looked at the link I would have elected this system as the one I'd be most likely to adopt if I ever converted a one piece to a two piece, but I would not be expecting it to be a boring 'walk in the park' at all. Do so at your (and your bow's) peril  :D  :D  :D
 I made a 'pickhandle takedown' as my first bow
 with the metal sleeve method - fabricated my own steel and brass components and the project was a success. The sleeve assembly does not offer the same freedom to shape and personalise the grip however - you end up with a straight grip of oval cross-section and seems more at home on straight limbed self-bows perhaps....
Keep us up to date with what you decide mate and how it all goes
Each day the devil whispered in my ear -"you will not withstand the storm."
Today I whispered in the devil's ear - " I am the storm..."

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »
When you cut it in two I would make the angle of cut so you have more pilot at least 1 inch on the belly side.
High on Archery.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
Follow Jims method to the letter and you will have a solid takedown.
You really need to have a strengthening I-beam type riser to start with though.
I have used this method on a finished 1 piece. If you watched the videos you will see that the method relies on having a dead flat side to the bow. To achieve this on a 1 piece you will need to use something like milput to build up the riser back past where you need it. Let it cure then grind your flat surface , the milput fills the low spots.
Once you have this done just follow the videos.

Offline Gundog68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 01:06:00 AM »
I did it like Jim´s method but i do not use release agent i use a thin layer of this stretchable plastic film for wrapping food to be fresh.

Offline arachnid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 03:42:00 AM »
Mike, the bow I want to convert doesn't have an I beam riser.
Is it such a problem?

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 08:28:00 AM »
You my get by without the Ibeam. But for sure you are way better off with one. It is going to strengthen the shelf and sight window area. I use .090 G 10 off center away from the shelf.
High on Archery.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 04:42:00 PM »
One of the more fascinating "take down" bows that I've seen is a Persian hinged bow.  

Simple flat hinge mounted on the back side of the bow at the center.  I suppose you could even slightly "adjust" the amount of reflex by using a wedge between the two halves.

There is/was a modern made Connexion hinged developed specifically for bows that you may be able to find for sale.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©