Author Topic: Fiberglass and Books  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Jeremy Bays

• Trad Bowhunter
Fiberglass and Books
« on: December 11, 2017, 06:29:00 PM »
Hi,
I have made about 50 primitive longbows (most single wood or some "backed" types).  Many styles and types from English longbows to Native America recurves out of the Jim Hamm books.

I have NEVER made a fiberglass bow.

I was wondering if you could recommend a BOOK or two with instructions and directions for this?  I found a couple dozen books on self bows and wooden bows but not a single one on fiberglass bow building.  
Thanks so much and have a great Christmas.
--Jeremy Bays
"The Moon gave us the bow and the Sun gave us the arrow" -- Pawnee Legend

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fiberglass and Books
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
Hi, Jeremy, welcome to the bench.

There probably are books on the subject but I'm not aware of them.  That said, many of us have gotten our start using instructions and supplies from Bingham Projects.

Another great source is Kenny's custom archery.  He is a participant here and has been adding a bunch of stuff for beginners and has all the supplies that you need to get started.

I'm using my phone and can't readily insert links but somebody will jump in and I'm sure Kenny will jump in here to offer help.

And, of course, there is this forum populated by knowledgeable people who are willing to be right there with you as you go along.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Jeremy Bays

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 07:12:00 PM »
Thank you for the reply.
I have been lurking in this forum for some time and have seen quite a few build-alongs.  Great information here.
I have seen the websites referenced, but I suffer from too many choices.
* tapered or parallel
* how many lams?
* glass on back, belly or both
* .040 or .060 or something else
 just the basics but just lacking knowledge.

Just looking for a book or two as I love books in general.
Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »
Hi Jeremy. Jack Harrison's book, Traditional Bowyer, More Unnecessary Fun, is dedicated to making glass and wood laminated bows.

Binghams Projects doesn't offer a book, but not only do they sell videos and instructional booklets and blueprints, but they sell all of the parts for presses, hot boxes, lams, glass, risers, glues, you name it.

A lot of us here have made them too and could potentially answer some questions you may have.

Offline Jeremy Bays

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
I found an e-book from Swissbow/net (forum a post in 2013 on this board).  I also found an Amazon self published book called Stick and String: Beginner's Guide to Building Laminated Fiberglass Longbows.  
I will look into these and see what they offer.
Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Offline Jeremy Bays

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
The more I think about this topic... the more I think I am just plain CHEAP!!

I am not sure about paying $300 for glass bow materials and such and have the bow turn out like junk.

When I learned self bow making, I broke about 10 bows before I got my first  "real" shooter.  I have been shooting this bow for about 8 years now.

I think the book idea is a mental crutch to help me understand a topic fully before I lay down the cash.
Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 09:29:00 PM »
Jeremy I was in your same shoes nearly a year ago. Believe it or not it was actually my wife that convinced me to take the plunge. There are plenty of posts and great guys here that can answer about any question you might have. Use the search function and don’t be afraid to ask.
I opted out of the Bingham project and went with a slightly modified kennym design for my first build. Thankfully it was a success and I now have five bows under my belt with number six in the plans.
KennyM is a sponsor here and a great guy to deal with. If you decide to bite the bullet, make sure you check out his site. If you stick with the basics, you should be able to get all the material you need for around $100. (Not including the form).
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
Hey Jeremy,

It is an addiction as you probably already know.

If I can help, let me know. I have a form build on my site with pics, and am working on a bow build to put on.

Also have plans and plywood templates for router use.

Good luck and have fun!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline arachnid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 12:03:00 AM »
Hi Jeremy.
I've made wooden bows for 5 years before I started making glass lam bows. There's a ton of info online, including this forum. I've asked so many beginner questions and the guys here always willing to help. Yes, it's a pricey hobby- but well worth it.
If you want to understand the basic principles of glass bows, I suggest you check out POOR FOLK BOWS. He's got a basic build along that can get you started.

Good luck.

Offline Kauz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 06:21:00 AM »
Hello,
the Swissbow booklet (for download, 87 pages, 15.-Swiss Francs) can be ordered here:
   Swissbow
You can even download a preview.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
First,  get on YouTube and watch Big Jim's 2017 video.....you'll see first hand how MOST of the process happens from material selection to riser cut out and shaping.....glue up....he and his helper Preacher explain a lot.  It will mentally  line you up in the right direction with regard to what has to take place to make a glass lam bow.  Highly recommend,  watch it several times!
Also,  Kenny is the man and has been super helpful and patient with me.....I have been picking his brain much as of late and he is a wealth of knowledge....AND runs a really cool operation making available all the stuff you need and his prices are very good!  A super valuable resource all the way around!  (Thank You Kenny and Thanks to the big man for posting an awesome video!)   :thumbsup:

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
Im in the same boat as you so I bought Jack Harrisons book about a month ago and have been reading it when I can  its a great book for a beginer like me to glass bows it really. breaks the process down plus kenny has been a great help Im going to go with his bow & form when I get going , Kenny that would be great if you could put a build along on your site !
If you fear failure, you will never try ! But never except it!!

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 07:47:00 AM »
I just bought the Stick & String book yesterday I have it a bought  3/4 read all ready ,it is pretty strait foward has some good practical knowledge in there for me being new to glass and includes some practical check lists worth the $7 kindle version , the Harrison book is much more detailed  its very much worth the price in my opionion !

Offline veyonyx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
I second Stick and String.

Offline Jeremy Bays

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 09:22:00 AM »
I just ordered and received the book THE AMERICAN LONGBOW by Stephen Graf.  Got it from Amazon for $16.

This book is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  A nice detail of lams, limbs, glue up, forms, shooting, and design.

If this book helped me, perhaps it will help others.
Thank you for all your support so far!
Jeremy Bays

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 06:35:00 PM »
Thanks for posting it  Jeremy I just ordered it to  winter is my reading time I have a lot to read this one !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©