Author Topic: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along the start.  (Read 8342 times)

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along the start.
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »
Believe it or not the rough(40 grit) leaves a pretty smooth surface, good for gluing.
 I ground the belly down on an osage backed bow I made that fretted and added a thin Argentine osage belly lam and retillered. It worked great.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2018, 04:05:00 PM »
Pat, do you think it could have been too dry with all that cold weather and low humidity?
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2018, 04:27:00 PM »
I do like the guy suggested on PA.

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2018, 05:27:00 PM »
Pat, May have nothing to do with it but I know from experience that exposer to certain solvents makes wood brittle. I have a good idea of how they put that pattern on the backing strip as ive done similar stuff, as far as what they used, who knows. Most stains and dies are cut with alcohol, mineral spirits or whatever as you already know. But there are quit a few ive used over the years that were cut from the factory with acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner you name it. My experiments trying to return salvaged wood from furniture to its original raw wood condition without planning off to much wood have proved it to me. Usually the solvent just evaporates away before it causes any harm. But who knows what was used to put that design on there. People use stains on wood bows all the time with no trouble, I'm just saying there are some out there that have some really hot stuff in them. If they done that design with something they just happen to have on hand it could've had just enough of something in it to make good hickory bad bow wood.
Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2018, 06:22:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that Pat I was looking forward to seeing it shoot but if it's only 1/8 backing shouldn't be to hard to rasp & scrape off let us know how it goes !
If you fear failure, you will never try ! But never except it!!

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2018, 07:08:00 PM »
Dang!  Sorry to see that Pat.  Is unusual for hickory to splinter like that, but stuff happens.  How thick was the hickory?
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2018, 09:12:00 PM »
I don't think it was too dry. Hickory can stand 5% m/c. I was more worried about the lemonwood being too dry. I think it had hidden rot. It is very hard to break sound, healthy hickory.
 I'll take pics of the backing removal and if it all goes well I'll add a new backing and get her shooting.
 John, it looked like leather dye to me and I've use that on lots of bows for stains and decorations.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
Well, I think I'll start the autopsy today. Yesterday was my wife's birthday so we and a another couple went out to eat at our local sushi restaurant. I think a few pork dumplings, a few sushi rolls, some beautiful tuna sashimi and the first beer I've had since October(gota have a cold Sapporo with sushi) I woke up this morning with a clear head.     :knothead:  
 I had thought about ripping the broken piece of backing off but I want to preserve the belly for future use if possible. I'll gingerly pry up what I can then rasp and grind the backing off and see what I can fine. The initial visual inspection as the bow sits now looks like a dry glue joint under the splinter but I'll be able to tell better once I get her opened up. Of course I'll take pics as I go along to share with you guys.
...to be continued...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2018, 10:57:00 AM »
Hope you can save the lemon wood Pat, So sad when a bow build along turns into a Sherlock Holmes mystery.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2018, 11:12:00 AM »
But Sherlock always get his man, John!
 You'll find after a few bows under your belt that this is part of the fun.    :rolleyes:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2018, 11:42:00 AM »
That's why I mentioned Sherlock, other than him being my child hood hero, he never gave up. Or I could've quoted my father. Boy ya want to see a true craftsman at work, watch what he does after things go in the crapper.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »
I do think the splinter lifted up from a dry glue line as you can see in these pics...

...so I started rasping the backing off. First I used a Sharpie to mark below the glue line so I didn't accidentally go into the belly...

I started rasping a facet along the edge of the backing, always working toward the center as not to tear out another splinter...

...I marked the rasped area with the Sharpie to show where I worked the rasp...

...I used the Nicholson #41 rasp(I thought it was a #49, only difference is the blunt end) and the course side of a farriers rasp...

...this wasn't as bad as I expected.
...more to come...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2018, 03:05:00 PM »
Well, I got a bunch done. After rasping the facets on the backing I used the farriers rasp to reduce the crown. I remover the Sharpie lines added earlier so I could see the glue line better.
 My first autopsy finding is like I suspected and someone else mentioned, a dry area of glue line along one edge right where the backing broke and lifted a splinter. I also found some discoloration in the hickory backing I've never seen before. I can't tell if this is fungal or maybe mineral deposits...

Once I got most of the backing down as far as I was comfortable using a rasp...

I went to the "Stave Master" and scraper to get the backing down...

...starting with the crown and working that down until I got near the edges...

The guy on PA(PatM) that suggested rasping instead of grinding said that when you hit the glue line it was like the sound made when chasing an osage ring and get into the early wood and it was. I got the majority of the backing off but still have more to go. I'll continue with a fresh head later.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »
Nice.  Glad to see it wasn't too bad.  You have inspired me to remove a belly lam.  
So you didn't accidentally nick or scrap the lemonwood yet?  That is my concern.
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2018, 03:30:00 PM »
I may have a little along the edge but I'll grind the belly's glue surface flat before the next glue up. I'm working with just the scraper for now to minimize any possible damage.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2018, 04:30:00 PM »
I'm glad you're going to be able to save this bow Pat. You've given me the inspiration I need to do a similar repair on a bamboo, hickory, bamboo tri-lam that popped a big splinter last spring.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2018, 06:23:00 PM »
If you used TB glue it's a whole lot easier. Just heat it up and the glue fails, then just pry the 2 pieces apart.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2018, 08:29:00 PM »
That's what I used, but I worry that the other glue lines might be damaged as well. Do you think it would work if I heated a small area at a time?
Dave.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2018, 10:31:00 PM »
I used a heat gun, starting at one tip. Once heated I worked a chisel between the back and belly prying them apart. Then worked down the limb to the handle and started again on the other tip, working towards the handle.
 You could lay the tri-lam on a wet towel to keep the back cooler as you heat and work the belly off.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2018, 05:58:00 PM »
Thanks Pat, I'll do it that way - as soon as I get a weekend without any OT.    :)  
Dave.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©