Author Topic: Smooth on  (Read 2271 times)

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Smooth on
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 02:08:00 AM »
We wouldn't have to worry about freezing here Kenny!!! More likely to melt if anything. Temp would be about 95 here at moment.Only batch number I have at moment is from one of the other guys and it was Part A-- 1703124; Part B -- 1704510. due to having several tins on the go at once I am not sure about mine but think one lot was 1701124 part A; and 1610506 part B. this is conjecture on my part re numbers but friends is one notable recent fail.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2017, 03:18:00 AM »
It has to be a manufacturing screw up.

Offline John Sturtevant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 07:17:00 AM »
Jason, hope all is well with you.
Have your heard of others having delam issues?
When they fail is it wood/wood joints along with wood/glass?

This would be beyond annoying..
Just checked the batch numbers on my glue.   :confused:

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Wolftrail:
Breathing Epoxy dust, fiberglass and other highly synthetic glue residues cant be to healthy. .....
   :scared:  
Especially when the Epoxy is not cured all the way...  It can do much harm to the body...

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2017, 10:55:00 PM »
most of the curves belonging to the others have failed near the fades, which would be understandable, due to stress point at change of section and angles.Mind you these are all well credentialed  designs , many of which have been made previously without mishap.One of mine opened up through the center along accent strips.another, a curve had a similar fate to the others.

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2017, 01:05:00 AM »
Has anyone contacted the company that makes smooth on and ask about manufacturing defects?

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
My Aussie supplier is taking it up with them.Hopefully get some answers.

Online Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »
Hi John, all good here. Merry Christmas to you and yours! Mine failures were all like dry glue joints but they werent actally dry. It just didnt bond well for long. On one I had it all tillered and about ready to spray when I pushed down on the handle while on my bench and the handle accents seperated like I didnt glue them at all. I didnt save the cans so I cant help with batch numbers but I have no doubt it was a bad batch. I didnt happen for hundreds of bows before those few and it hasnt happened since fortunatley.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 08:18:00 PM »
I don’t think the freezing hurts. I had two different sets of smooth on cans in my garage and both were exposed to freezing temps for a short period.  One set had just can scrapings, the other nearly full.

I had a stack of overlay material and a couple boards that I was gonna glue together. Thought it was a perfect time to use up the can scrapings. Now the A(white) side seamed just fine, but the B(yellow) side seemed a little thick, almost gritty. I went ahead with the glueup, but after 3 days at room temp they still hadn’t completely set.

So I trashed the overlays and cut the boards back apart. I then went to the nearly full cans. Both parts seemed fine, mixed well and set completely in under 24 hrs.

Now I haven’t done a complete glueup, but I did flex test both sets of overlays. The ones glued with the “gritty” mix blew apart with failed glue joints. The other set flexed further than I thought with no issues.

So even though it is a two part epoxy, I guess the B side has a shelf life especially with lots of air exposure.  Mine were nearly a year old. I will admit, the lids were probably not completely sealed on the partial set and allowed air in.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©