Author Topic: Tip Wedges  (Read 1485 times)

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
Tip Wedges
« on: December 27, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
Wondering if you guys are using tip wedges on your all wood R/D bows?  If so can you give me an idea of dimensions and when you use them?  I know they are common on glass bows.    

TBBIV mentions using "reverse tip wedges" on their highly reflexed lam bow.  I'm confused as to why they call it a reverse wedge.  It seems like it's just a wedge.
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Offline ty_in_ND

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tip Wedges
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »
I'm actually going to try using a tip wedge in an up and coming trilam I'm going to piece together, just to experiment a touch with keeping the last bit of the limb stiff.  Whether or not it works, I won't know until the bow starts shooting, but I have to start going through the wood I've accumulated!
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »
""TBBV mentions using "reverse tip wedges" on their highly reflexed lam bow. I'm confused as to why they call it a reverse wedge. It seems like it's just a wedge. ""

I suppose maybe they are calling it that because the tapers some use the other direction are called reverse tapers? you can only point a tip wedge one way! LOL

Just different way of saying it.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »
Yeah the word reverse doesn't make sense to me.  It's like they are saying to put the thick end towards the handle    :confused:

Kenny, when do you use tip wedges on your glass bows and what kind of dimensions do you use?  I guess the concept of keeping the tips stiff and retaining shape apply to wood and glass.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 03:25:00 PM »
Yeah probably because the thin part is pointed the other way. I put mine from string groove to 4 inches down the limb. they have a .008-010 taper. Guessing .040 to .000
High on Archery.

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the information.  The wedges they used on TBBIV were 12" long.  That seemed much too long.

Offline ty_in_ND

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »
Ya, the tip wedges I'm planning on using are .050 to 0 taper and are 5 inches long.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 07:21:00 PM »
I use about same as Mike and Ty, .010 taper and 4-6" from nocks depending on what I'm "trying to make the limb do.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
About the same for me. Usually about 5-7” in front of grooves.
About  .030-.040 with around .006 taper.

My bows are in the shorter side, so I use them mostly to get a better string angle and gain a little draw length before stacking.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline styksnstryngs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 08:58:00 PM »
Actually, I was thinking that you could incorporate a tip wedge with a rapid taper from the riser to the tip, so the wedge started at say 8" from the limb tip and reaches max thickness at about 5" from the limb tip, then thins out again towards the tips. This would save some weight in the limb tips.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by styksnstryngs:
Actually, I was thinking that you could incorporate a tip wedge with a rapid taper from the riser to the tip, so the wedge started at say 8" from the limb tip and reaches max thickness at about 5" from the limb tip, then thins out again towards the tips. This would save some weight in the limb tips.
I would think that would be hard to glue lams or glass on top of. You would basically be putting a hump in the limb.

But hey....try it and let us know how it works   :D
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  That's the information I needed.  I'm playing around with a design that needs to accommodate a 30" draw, so the stiff flipped tips will help.

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by styksnstryngs:
I am not a tip wedge expert, but yes it should work... I have been thinking of trying it myself...  The theory is that you want that last 1/4 to 1/3 of limb to be stiff and having all of that thickness and weight at the very tip does not help... Now the question is will it enhance or take away from performance?? You would take off more weight if you ran a partial tip wedge and tapered the glass the last 4 or so inches...  Glass weighs twice as much as maple...
  You could also splice in some douglas fir the last 6"- 8" of your core...

Offline BO-R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
TBBV mentions using "reverse tip wedges" on their highly reflexed lam bow  

Is there a book 5?

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
I'm sure that different designs respond variously to tip weight but my experiment with a 66" ASL shows that it may not be enough to fret about.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
BO-R, It was a typo, I meant to say TBBIV.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©