3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tip protectors  (Read 378 times)

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
tip protectors
« on: March 09, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
Does a tip protector affect bow performance?  I have never used one and my new recurve came with a nice leather one for the bottom tip.  It seems to me like the bow is quieter without it.  I can't see difference in speed.  Maybe I am being a little rediculous.   I sure do like it for setting my bow on the foot. Opinions please.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tip protectors
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
hatch, I have heard that the leather protectors can be noisy.  I really have no idea why, just what I've heard.  I use tight fitting rubber protectors and have never heard a difference in noise.  I've also been told that baby bottle nipples can be cut and used for tip protectors, I've not found any that fit right though.  Plus my wife would kill me if she came home to me cutting all the nipples up...Mike

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
I used some leather ones on a couple of my old bows and you could hear a real difference in the sound of the shot.....some even sounded like a loud crack.....I think it's particular to the bow your shooting. The last bow I had one on was a Treadway and I didn't notice any noise....got a rubber one on my present treadway...dont seem to notice any at all.
The benefits of not damaging the lower limb tip far outweighs the cons of a little noise IMHO
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 05:27:00 AM »
Hatch, I have only used the rubber ones and have not noticed any difference in noise with or without it on.

If the noise of the leather is something that you just cannot stand I would try out one of the rubber tip protectors.

Good Luck

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
I put a leather one on my Z-Bow when it came in and it to was real loud to loud for my liken so i whent back to the rubber one
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
I take baby pacifiers, the kind with a little hump to them, something for the bite.  Take it apart, and just slide the rubber piece on.  Fits like a charm, and no noise.  :thumbsup:

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
I make my own from soft leather, and lace 'em up tight. No noise that I can hear, and I like to protect the tip on my longbows. I made a pattern from the one 3Rivers sells. You can buy one there, if you don't want to make your own.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
Hatch...Your over thinking this.  Use the rubber protectors as they protect better on a drop.  The rubber gives you a bounce effect absorbing the impact where leather does not.
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
I only use the rubber ones because of concern that the leather ones would get wet...and stay wet.
Lon Scott

Offline donnyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
I had a black leather one on a Fox LB and it discolored the limb tip after getting wet.
Love Life, Bowhunt, Flyfish, and Play a Martin Guitar                        :thumbsup:

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
I guess ya can't please all of the people any of the time with archery.   :biglaugh:  
I just recently put on a leather tip on my Longbow's becuase I found my arrow flight too change with the tightness of the rubber tip due that since it rose up on the string, it effected where the string started to pull away from the bowtip at draw. On my rcurve since they don't rise as much I don't seem to notice the same. Could also be due to more power stroke with the recurve limbs.
I haven't noticed a noise at all with the leather tip as yet.    :confused:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Kingstaken, I had a similar concern with the rubber tips on longbows, so I cut a small hole in the protector for the string.
Lon Scott

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
I think the do some, I put them on both limb tips, to kinda equal it out plus protect them both.  but kinda like brush buttons on a recurve, I am gonna use them regardless of the 1 or 2 FPS loss
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  The bow is very quiet anyway and fast too.  I just heard a little more noise with than without.  The same difference I hear with shooting 3 under.  I am a perfectionist and am being a little on the anal side.  Thanks for all the advice.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
I dont like em because I have seen wear on the loop it is supposed to protect. If I stick my tip in the mud I just clean it off.

Offline 6X5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
Black Widow supplies them on all their new bows and I use them. They are rubber with 2 holes in the bottom to let water drain out. Leather can let the tip get wet and stay wet but I still use them on my non BW bows just take them off after the day is done.Remember a bow without a tip protector is far more likely to get scratched of chipped and let water in and that is BAD!!!!!!
Robert Johns

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
6x5, these are the protectors I use as well.  Their longbow tip protectors have holes in the back as well to thread the string through to prevent the problems mentioned earlier...Mike

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by SCATTERSHOT:
I make my own from soft leather, and lace 'em up tight. No noise that I can hear, and I like to protect the tip on my longbows. I made a pattern from the one 3Rivers sells. You can buy one there, if you don't want to make your own.
I agree.  I've been making my own leather tip protectors for years.  If you make'm tight you'll not see or hear any difference.  If it gets wet do what I do, it's really simple...take it off and put on another.
A good source for soft leather is old discarded handbags/purses.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
I use a piece of surgical tubing about an inch long. Push it on about 5/8 inch and leave about 3/8 off and it protects well and drains too. I`ve been using them a long time with no problems.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
Lon makes perfect sense. Will try. Funny thing is I don't usually fool with equipment made by the pros. hoping they know what their doing. I guess theres room for improvement with anything.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©