Author Topic: Glue Questions  (Read 767 times)

Offline arachnid

• Trad Bowhunter
Glue Questions
« on: January 03, 2018, 01:40:00 PM »
Hi Guys.

a few questions about EA40 glue and glue up process:
1) Does anyone here heat the glue before glue up? If so- How long? Befor/after mixing parts A and B? what`s the benefit of worming the glue up?

2) Does the glue count at the total stack? I`ve read on the Bowywer`s Corner Facebook pagethat some guy wrote that every glue line count as 0.003" in the total stack, but I`ve neve saw nor heard of such a thing in other places.

3) One of the guys here wrote to me that he spreads a thin layer on the lam, wait a minute for the glue to soak and do it again for 2-3 times before spreading the final, thicker, layer of glue. Anyone else does it that way? I`ve done it on my last bow and it works great but it uses up a lot of glue.

Thanks
Dor

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glue Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:16:00 PM »
1. No

2. No

3. No

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 02:26:00 PM »
Warming a little helps it spread better but to much and your working time diminishes,unless its cold when gluing its not necessary, room temp. is fine. Make sure both surfaces are wet  and you should be fine, to much makes everything a bit slippery and is not needed. Glue does count on stack but no real concern  unless you have a lot of lams, then to many glue lines will effect performance.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 02:28:00 PM »
1. Only if my glue is cold. lol Warm parts separate before mixing.  Warm glue has a thinner consistency and easier to spread.  But if you get it too warm, it will set quickly.

2. No

3. I let the wood dictate if it needs a second layer.  I check by using light reflection.  Add glue until all the surfaces have a wet sheen with no dry spots.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
What Bvas said.

A few days ago I measured out a small amount of Smooth On for a project and noticed it was cold/stiff. The heater was running so I held the container up to it for about 30 seconds, and that was enough to make a big difference in its viscocity.

I heated it up too much once for a bow build and it started setting up before I could get the bow together. I won't do that again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©