3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF Craze—What’s next?  (Read 4569 times)

ILF Craze—What’s next?
« on: March 09, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
Bob Gordon started the “hunting” ILF craze with his Warf bows; then, David Soza develops the DAS Master series of premium hunting bows with a 17” riser.  Bob Morrison sees the need for a wood ILF hunting riser and produces three--one in 16”, one in 18” and one in 20”. Lancaster Archery creates a subsidiary called TradTech Archery.  They develop the Titan 17” metal riser and the 19” Pinnacle wood riser, along with a myriad of limbs to go with them, including an ILF longbow limb.  

The next step:  Three Rivers Archery teams with David Soza to offer the Dalaa; now in a 17” and a 21” model, along with camo wood/carbon limbs of various lengths and weights. Mr. Morrison is now making recurve and longbow ILF limbs in virtually any weight and length a person could need. I see on his website that he has a set of 80# at 26” ILF limbs! TradTech is in the process of offering different length risers, and “may” team up to offer a FireFly riser and more limb options.

Now we hear…  that Border is offering a fitting to convert their risers for use with ILF limbs.  They already offer top quality ILF limbs. Chek-Mate is offering limbs to fit the Hoyt hunting recurves.  Oh yes, we haven’t even mentioned those, the Hoyt GameMaster II and the “new” Dorado.  Both will accept ILF limbs with the simple change of a bushing. Not to mention that Bernardini is offering a 19” ILF hunting riser called the Mamba.

GEE WHIZ! We can mix and match, risers and limbs for all occasions.  It’s a great time to shoot a stick bow—don’t you think?!  I WONDER… where will it go from here?

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF Craze—What’s next?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
It is amazing to see so many options. :)shows how trad archery is growing.   :)
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Yes it is nice to see, but is it growing in the right direction?
Conny

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
Yes, I think it is a great time to shoot stick bows. As well as the offerings you mention, there are probably more custom bowyers at work than ever. So, there truly is something out there for everyone, whatever their taste. The "right" direction is the one each individual chooses for themselves.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
I'm experimenting with the new bows and limbs to help accomodate my need to drop way down in weight so I can keep shooting, but still try to maintain a satisfactory performance level.   I would imagine that some folks who know me would consider me an unlikely candidate to try these new critters, but they're fun, and effective.  

One thing I see is that I can stay "trad" and explore new possibilities... like shooting from some of the compound stakes on my club range... never thought I'd do that at all, let alone with lighter weight bows.

The new bows won't replace my old ones so much as they add a new development, a new thing to learn, an additional way to have fun with archery.   To me, the Hills represent the epitome of development of a certain type of equipment... the perfection of simplicity.  The new bows are a bit more complex, and they may take us to a new place in terms of development of a new type of equipment to do what we do... shoot without sights but still with a non-mechanically enhanced bow.  Developing the best skills we can with both types of equipment just means more ways to pursue our interest, more opportunity to perfect our skills.

I was out today with a Titan and light carbon arrows and I made some shots I wouldn't even try with my Hill and heavy woodies.   I plan to keep shooting both and see where it takes me.  So, if you see me at a shoot doing one round with a Hill and the next with a Titan, don't be too surprised.

Dick
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
Dick,

One of the best thought out, and stated opinions I've read about the subject. The voice of reason! Thanks.

Jim

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
I think it's a great time for trad archery.We are finaly back to new innovation and development that we would have seen anyway if not for the compound.

More choices has to be good.I might want to wear buckskins and shoot a selfbow one day or a full blown FITA rig the next.

There may be some new rules at the ,TRAD,events as to what defines a trad bow.I just hope they are more inclusive than exclusive.Doesn't really matter because thoes who compete to win will use every advantage within the rules and thoes who aren't there to win shouldn't really care what anyone else shoots.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
What is ILF?? I am out of it I guess. . .

thanks
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
don't know the specific words for the acronym... International something something, but basically, it's a cross-brand standard for interchangeable limbs... you can get limbs from international target bows and stick 'em on the new trad ILF risers... or get the limbs the riser makers are providing... tremendous flexibility in length, composition and poundage... and price, of course  :^)

the more advanced risers offer tremendous flexibility in adjustments... you can adjust poundage, tiller, etc.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
thanks-
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
Jim:  You do have your tongue firmly implanted in cheek when you say "Where will it go from here? right?  The desire for ever increasing speed and ease of use led to the widespread adoption of the compound.  The next step is to put pulleys/cams on the limb tips.  Oops.  Somebody's already thought of that.  High tech crossbows perhaps?

Offline PHANTOM_84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
Cudos to Bob Morrison for his new innovative ILF riser design. Several weeks ago I traveled to Bob Morrison's shop in Granview, OH to make up my mind on wether I wanted to order a Shawnee w/Dakota carbon foam limb, or his new ILF riser with his carbon foam longbow limb. I was quite surprised with how much more forgiving the ILF riser was for me with its more forword set grip design than the Shawnee.

I made up my mind and went with the 16" ILF bocote riser with phenolic flare, half pine-cone carving and his carbon foam longbow limb with eastern diamondback skins. Bow will be 58" 58+ pounds at 27". The Shawnee was quite an enjoyable shooting experience that in the future I will possibly look in to ordering one.

Very well said Dick, we are still "trad" just exporling new possibilities.

Also I want to thank Bob Morrison for taking several hours out of his saturday morning to answer all my many questions and point me in the right directions.

Steve

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
Dan,

ILF = International Limb Fitting

Developed by Earl Hoyt to standardize Olympic equipment.

Jerry,

No tongue-in-cheek, and yes, it's already been done, so not applicable to the present conversation--but expected none the less. That's what makes these boards so enjoyable for most of us.  Our opinions vary as much as our current options on what bows, arrows, risers, or limbs we choose to use.

Steven,

They are something special aren't they?  I've got an 18" right handed one, and an 18" left handed one.  I "may" have bought the first 18" ILF riser he made.  What I like most is  the ability to change the tiller along with the weight adjustment.  Pop in a set of cheap ILF light weight limbs and work on form; then, pop in a set of heavier ones and hit the range, then heavier again and chase elk.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
OK... now I'm curious.... I liked the idea of Mr. Morrison's riser, so i went and looked.. beautiful... but....     It says usable only with Win & Win ILF limbs or damage may result.

So, if ILF is truly a standard protocol for limb fitting, as it is on the Titan and Pinacle and all of the target bows, how does one make an ILF riser that won't fit all ILF limbs?
Dick in Seattle

Offline MRD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 12:21:00 AM »
I certainly like my Morrison 18" ILF riser and recurve limbs.  And I'm anxiously awaiting a set of the longbow limbs.  I enjoy the adjustable weight and tiller, and the being able to adjust the preload, if I want.  
Growing in the right direction?  For some people, definitely.  For others, not.  Find a place where you are comfortable, or find a bow that shoots well for you, and enjoy!
But, really, the only difference on an ILF is the limb attachment.  An adjustable bolt that fits a variety of limbs.  The horror! LOL!   :D

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »
Dick,

He just hasn't changed the website.  My riser would only accept W&W limbs.  I had to grind the sides off my Hoyt limbs for them to fit in it.  He has since changed the limb pockets to accept ALL ILF limbs.  As a matter of fact, we emailed last week and in our conversation he suggested that I send my riser back so he could open the pockets to accept any manufacturers limbs.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 12:38:00 AM »
well, darn... that answer's gonna cost me money!  

thanks.... I think....  :^)
Dick in Seattle

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »
That is what I wanted to hear as well.  :)
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline Jhoneil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
I think 3 Rivers Dalaa came out before the Titan so it should not be "the next step". If the Titan came out first, then I might be shooting the Titan instead of a Dalaa. Not trying to stir up anything but just wanted to put history in order. The 21" Dalaa riser is new tho and comes in ILF or The DAS  proprietary connection.

What is the next step? Well, an Italian company (Bernardini)  is coming out with their own short ILF hunting riser    :bigsmyl:

Offline Craig/FL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 05:49:00 AM »
I've been shooting the ILF bows for a couple of years now, I been through a couple of warfs and have been shooting a TT Titan since August. Its truely amazing how far its come from useing old converted compound risers to the offerings today in that short time. With there growing popularity and the talent of some of these guys I amagine it only going to get better..Craig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©