3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: a question for you BIG KNIFE guys....  (Read 1670 times)

Offline mich-mtnman

• Trad Bowhunter
a question for you BIG KNIFE guys....
« on: February 08, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
i was thinking of making a new sheath but need some ideas on how to carry such a knife. i was thinking of mid back but how would it be accesible?
 maybe along my side but at an angle, out of the way.
maybe under arm???
 hopefully you guys have some pics you could share of your setups.
jamie
" still trying to look like a 300# leaf "

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a question for you BIG KNIFE guys....
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
I carry my 7.5 inch bowie two ways one straight up and down on my side toward the back.  But for camping or hiking I made a sheath that carries it at an angle in a cross draw sheath that hangs about two inches below my belt.  I can slide it around to the side for hiking or pull it to the front for use.  When bent over or sitting using the knife the hanger lets it lay on my leg. So I can always resheath it rather than lay it down as you see so often.
Pete Darby

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
I haul my 10" Natchez Bowie around just straight up and down, either on my left side at the seam of my pants, or on the right side at my right rear pocket.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
Heres a pic of my Loyd Lippert WEEPING HEART bowie in it's Sheath that I made. If ya got a real big knife ya almost gotta carry it this way. This bowie is over 17" long overall and has a 12" blade.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
i'll post a pic tommorow. there is a sheath refered to as mountain man style which can be worn on your side or behind your back. i have a HUGE bowie that i wear with this style sheath and it rides well. the bowie is all of about 3 pounds. also have a long knife with the same style sheath and i'll attach a pic.

long knife with mountain man style sheath

I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
I like to carry a big knife along the side at an angle. They're out of the way for moving or sitting but easily accessible.

Most of my knives and sheaths are custom made. The big ones have the belt loop on the back at an angle.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline clay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »
Mr.LaClair, if my eyes are'nt decieving me, thats a trade gun hanging on the wall. That happens to be my other hobby in life besides the stick and string.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »
Hey Frank,

I love that sheath. You are such a talented person. Knives and sheaths alike. I see why you like BIG knives. I do too, as you know.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
Here's another big knife carry rig.  
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline mich-mtnman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
man those pics are sweet ron.
 maybe i could make a sheath with a sewn in brass 'd' rind and a belt loop...so it could swing free...hmmmm
" still trying to look like a 300# leaf "

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
How 'bout something like this Jamie.......

It can be worn, dangling from your belt by the upper loop, or the upper loop can be removed & you can wear it high up on your belt.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
Okay, can't resist  :D

Here's the knife tat goes in thar...

Blade is 4-1/2" W2 made by Dave Budd (a hugely talented 25 year old hobby-smith from Devon)
Thuya burr handle, fitted with 2 1/4" brass pins & a central 1/4" mosaic pin (handled by me)

This is the knife I always have with me when I'm outdoors. It's so sharp it scares me!

"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
Dang Donald your right I love knives! Big ones and small ones and everything in between.   :goldtooth:   Ron ya got some great knives and I love that picture. <><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
When we are in elk country (bear and cats too)! One of my brothers has his set up to ride behind him across the flat of his back, big antler handle touching his right side, pulls out to the right.  Although I like the looks of these mountain man style wood and horn handles, I love my Schrade Oldtimer Trailboss.  Its like the handle material just becomes part of your hand.  I hang it right side, to the front a lttle,  slightly modified sheath, quickdraw gunfighter style.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
Bill Bagwell wrote an article several years ago where he said the best way to carry a big knife was 'stuck in your belt' (for lack of a better description), not hanging from your belt by a loop.  His sheath had a brass button (or "frog") that kept the knife/sheath from slipping through your belt.  The tension of your belt kept the knife and sheath in place.  He said it kept your knife secure and out of your way.  Makes good sense to me.

Better check your weapons laws though, a concealed bowie (or other big knife) will get you a trip to the pokey around here.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
Bill Bagwell made a heck of a Bowie knife. I went on a couple bear hunts with Bill in the early 80's.
On one of the trips he gave me one of his knives and I've still got it.
 http://tradgang.com//noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=000038

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
You're a lucky fella Ron.  Looks like Bill is carrying his knife "stuck in his belt" in the videos in your link above.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©