Author Topic: Reading a gizmo?  (Read 2430 times)

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
Reading a gizmo?
« on: January 22, 2018, 01:04:00 PM »
Hello Guys. I got some marks from my gizmo by moving it side to side. I'm assuming I should only remove wood from the sides the gizmo marked. Cant see any twist but this should be a sign of one, even if its not noticeable yet.
Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Reading a gizmo?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 01:36:00 PM »
i wouldn't use it in that way.im not sure you could really get an accurate reading like that. it's made to travel down the limb from fade to tip not side to side. I use mine by finding the weakest point of the limb or where it's bending most. raise the pencil till it's just not touching and then run it down and up the limb. best way to check for twist is to look down the limbs once strung or with a contour gauge

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 01:40:00 PM »
"I'm assuming I should only remove wood from the sides the gizmo marked."    I'm sure others will chime in and help you out on that.   I check for twist when the bow is on the tiller stick and lock in the string at say 16-18" or whatever and site down the limbs from the tips, I will always notice twist if any at this stage.   I clamp the tiller stick in the vice, that way I can have a good look at it rather than using a pulley system having the bow flat against a wall or plywood.

I dont use a gizmo,  I use a tape measure for final tiller when its at full brace works only on laminate bows not selfies with bumps and dips..  Works for me.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 01:42:00 PM »
oooooopps double post

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 01:52:00 PM »
Go to trad gang main topic page home page. Scroll down to How To Section, then look for Tillering Gizmo thread by Eric Krewson. Instructions there.

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 02:25:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Wolftrail I use My tree the same way. I use a yard stick think I like it better. to many variables with the gizmo.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 02:40:00 PM »
No No No.
The gizmo used correctly will give you a perfect bend.

Glass bows and wood bows are two different animals.

Pay attention rebel boy...   :)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 05:55:00 AM »
They way I understood it and how I use it. is to run the bow from fade to tip. That is after you set your pencil by finding the largest gap and adjusting the pencil so it barley touches. then run it down the middle then each side of the limb. remove wood only were the pencil marks are. I if you are getting more on one side of a limb then the other scrap that side. you can tiller in twist by shaving to much off one side. Don't ask me how I know. if you measure the limb thickness on both sides one will be think most likely.

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 09:20:00 AM »
"I dont use a gizmo, I use a tape measure for final tiller when its at full brace works only on laminate bows not selfies with bumps and dips"

Wolf, can you explain how you use a tape measure for final tiller?  Do you mean just positive or negative tiller measurements from the fade to the string or something else?
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 10:03:00 AM »
BMorv, I put mine on the tree and pull it to different lengths then use the marks I put on the sides  of the bow limbs to measure distance between limb and string. That worked great on my first 3 bows. Started using the gizmo started having problems. Most likely due to not using it properly but what do I know. I have a better understanding now, I think i was asking it to do things it wasn't designed for.

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 10:32:00 AM »
Gotcha John.  Don't see why that wouldn't work, but never seen it done that way.

The gizmo is a simple but ingenious device that simply measures how much the wood is bending between the ends.  It is incapable of lying.  Match the gap between the ends of the gizmo along the length of the limb and you'll have a nice even bend.  Do like Kelly suggest and you'll get side to side differences too.  I can't imagine an easier method, unless you are experienced enough to see those small differences by just looking at it.  

I even use it on R/D bows.  The gap from the transition between deflex and reflex will get smaller, but it should be a smooth transition and both limbs should transition the same.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 10:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by BMorv:
"I dont use a gizmo, I use a tape measure for final tiller when its at full brace works only on laminate bows not selfies with bumps and dips"

Wolf, can you explain how you use a tape measure for final tiller?  Do you mean just positive or negative tiller measurements from the fade to the string or something else?
This is how I do it..
 http://myarchery.byethost18.com/bows.html

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 11:13:00 AM »
I guess you learn something new every day....More than one way to achieve a nice bend.

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 11:54:00 AM »
I like the gizmo, however I'm constantly wondering if the pencil moved is the lead getting shorter blah blah blah..... with a yard stick i know its constant. But then again I'm weird. I'm the hillbilly that shows up to an Appalachian pot luck supper with gumbo.    :thumbsup:

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 12:50:00 PM »
I use a Gizmo mostly for difficult cases. Most everything else I do by eye. The Gizmo is a great tool but it is not a crutch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 01:05:00 PM »
Good point Pat.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »
Gizmos are easy. Yardsticks warp...  :)

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »
Roy if an ole coot like you can do it..... well ya know were I'm going with this right?
Were did that post ya made go to?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 04:36:00 PM »
No?

I didn't think it was right so I edited it...

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 04:41:00 PM »
Go sit by the fire with Jack and think about it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©