Author Topic: Reading a gizmo?  (Read 2431 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Reading a gizmo?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 08:17:00 PM »
LOL

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 11:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
I use a Gizmo mostly for difficult cases. Most everything else I do by eye. The Gizmo is a great tool but it is not a crutch.
X2

Regarding tiller induced limb twist, I have always pinched both sides of the limb and run them from the riser to the tip.  It seemed obvious to me that the sides usually need to be the same thickness.  I pinch and check constantly throughout the tillering process.  Once you do it few times it becomes easy to tell any difference from one side of the limb to the other.  When I started teaching others to build self bows I quickly realized it isn’t obivious to most of the first time selfbow builders I teach, they struggle with keeping both sides even.  Usually they have a dominate side (right or left) and apply more pressure to that side of the limb, thus removing more wood on one side and inducing limb twist.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 11:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
I use a Gizmo mostly for difficult cases. Most everything else I do by eye. The Gizmo is a great tool but it is not a crutch.
X2

Regarding tiller induced limb twist, I have always pinched both sides of the limb and run them from the riser to the tip.  It seemed obvious to me that the sides usually need to be the same thickness.  I pinch and check constantly throughout the tillering process.  Once you do it few times it becomes easy to tell any difference from one side of the limb to the other.  When I started teaching others to build self bows I quickly realized it isn’t oblivious to most of the first time selfbow builders I teach, they struggle with keeping both sides even.  Usually they have a dominate side (right or left) and apply more pressure to that side of the limb, thus removing more wood on one side and inducing limb twist.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 08:35:00 PM »
John, you are over thinking the gizmo thing, pencil moved? got shorter? Too many variables? Yikes!

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 09:04:00 PM »
Eric, happens every time i learn to use something new. I'm starting to get used to it. I'm weird like that. I'm the guy who checks his level and tape measure and square for true every morning or at lunch just in case.
Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 11:44:00 PM »
the gizmo is quick- way quicker than measuring- i used to measure before i was let into the gizmo secret.
besides as said above, the gizmo doesnt lie.

one word of caution with a tillering stick, i strongly advocate against using them- having a wood bow under tension( the longer the draw length the worse it is) while you study it- will lead to increased set- and in a few cases i have seen hickory bows blow up- while people sit there and take their time.
i won't use them anymore - just an unnecessary risk.

each to their own i guess- many ways to skin a cat!    :bigsmyl:

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 06:12:00 PM »
Hey Fuji!  How do you use a gizmo without holding the bow under tension for a while?  A tiller stick or a pulley system seems like you would need to hold it there to run the gizmo up and down each limb. (I have never used a gizmo though.  I do something similar with my card scraper and eyeball the gap.

Msturm
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 11:14:00 PM »
John one thing Eric taught me about the gizmo and probably the hardest to do is to trust the gizmo. Eric taught me how to build bows, but as I continue building the gizmo has actually taught me what proper tiller looks like. I just leave the last 6 to 8 inch of the tips stiff depending on the bow/my mood and get it bending a little out of the fades. The gizmo tells me what to do in between. I have messed up more bows than I like to admit but none was the gizmos fault. It's simple but very effective.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©