Author Topic: Drum Sanders  (Read 5016 times)

Offline C. Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
Drum Sanders
« on: January 25, 2018, 08:26:00 AM »
So, I have a little tax return money coming my way and I want to invest in a proper drum sander. I've been using a shop built attachment to my spindle sander.  It works fine, but I'm getting to a point where I need to invest in a better piece of equipment to grind lams with.

In my non-bow building life, I'm a licensed plumber.  I've learned over the years to never skimp on tools (or work boots).  Buy something good and cry once.

My thoughts at this point are that I'll go one of two ways.

Option 1: Jet 10-20. Woodcraft has this machine for about$775. Since I doubt I'll do much more than grind lams with it, the small size might not be an issue. But, I can't help but feel like I'm at the Ford dealership looking at a new F150.

I'm thinking, "Well, this is probably plenty of truck".

But my gut is telling me, "Don't be a chicken ass". Buy the F350 with the turbo diesel. "You won't regret the extra capability and room to grow in the future".

That leads me to option 2. The performax 16-32.  Probably more than I "need", but is a lot more substantial piece of equipment. The price is quite a bit higher though. I'm thinking it's probably worth it.

I might consider something from Grizzly, but, to be honest, Grizzly seems like something from Harbor Freight compared to Jet tools.  I may be wrong though.

I'd love to have some input from other guys making 15-20 bows a year and looking to expand a little.

So, what do you guys think?

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drum Sanders
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 08:38:00 AM »
I have several Grizzly tools and can't compare them to Harbor freight , or Delta but the Jet 10-20 weighs in at 96 # and the Griz 10" weighs in at 220# so either she's built or just fat!    :)  .

Of 2 bandsaws and 2 tablesaws I've had from Griz, the fences were dead on for ripping on all of them.

They are built pretty heavy built and I have run some of them for several years without much problem.

So with no experience with Jet, I didn't help you much, but I know guys like them too.   :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:54:00 AM »
I have the Performax 22-44 I love it had it for a lot of years now its worked flawless had the Delta before and hated it , it would go out of adjustment a lot !
If you fear failure, you will never try ! But never except it!!

Offline C. Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 09:09:00 AM »
I have to admit the Grizzly G0458 is tempting. Hmmm.   ;)

Offline Jsmith74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 09:14:00 AM »
I have the grizzly 10 in. I bought it when it first came out and it was under $300. A very heavy well-built machine. The only issue is it's a little difficult changing paper but I think they have that worked out now. Otherwise it's a fantastic machine. I use 35 grit on the drum which takes down material extremely fast and leaves a really rough surface for gluing

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 09:16:00 AM »
I've had the G0459 for 3 years and have had no problems with it.

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 09:23:00 AM »
I only bought the wide drum for panels & counter tops if Your only griding lams I think you could get by with a much narrower head  I have only used mine for parallel core lams so far but nice to have the width for honey dews & other projects !

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »
https://www.supermaxtools.com/products/wood/19-38-drum-sander-71938-d/
When it comes to open end sanders I believe this is as good as it gets, a bit expensive though

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 09:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by C. Johnson:
I have to admit the Grizzly G0458 is tempting. Hmmm.    ;)  
I have a G0458 that I bought used. The number one complaint I have about it is that is does not have pressure rollers, they are pressure plates. That being said, the more I thinker with it the more I feel they work "ok" but having the money to spend again I would get one with rollers.

The other side of that is that it's an 18" sander that can do upwards of 36", which I have used it for and it does a fine job as long as you don't try to eat too much all at once. Use multiple light passes and it does a great job.

Grizzly has it on sale right now for $675, down from $895, that's a pretty good sale.
Skeater who?

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 09:43:00 AM »
After just messing with mine I would have to say get the most accurate one...  You are dealing with thousandths of an inch...  I would stay away from open end sanders... You don't need an open end for sanding lams anyway...

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 09:49:00 AM »
I would stay away from open end sanders... You don't need an open end for sanding lams anyway..

X's 2

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 10:32:00 AM »
All ya need for a 2 inch wide lam.

Offline C. Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 12:29:00 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for your input.

Can anyone recommend a good closed end drum sander?

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 12:40:00 PM »
I run this one in my shop, it is a workhorse. May be more than you need and it takes an air supply to run....

http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-Wide-Belt-Sander-5-HP-Single-Phase/G0527?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Jsmith74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 12:40:00 PM »
Grizzly G0716
Almost 300# but it comes on a nice stand with wheels and handles to move it around easily.it is a closed end but you can make it open to do 20" if needed. 1.5 hp which is nice and overpowered for only 10"

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 12:53:00 PM »
Thats a sweet machine Kenny last a life time !

Offline C. Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by kennym:
I run this one in my shop, it is a workhorse. May be more than you need and it takes an air supply to run....

http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-Wide-Belt-Sander-5-HP-Single-Phase/G0527?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com  
Thanks Kenny!

Truthfully, this is more than I can manage right now financially, but, dang that would be nice!

Do you lubricate the bearings with pure testosterone?    ;)

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 02:06:00 PM »
Ha ha ha....  All the tools in my shop don't add up to that price...  Some of my stuff is a notch above third world engineering... But it works and can be very accurate...   ;)   :)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 02:42:00 PM »
LOL Craig. If he did the bearings would dry up..   :)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 02:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by C. Johnson:

Originally posted by kennym:

Thanks Kenny!

Truthfully, this is more than I can manage right now financially, but, dang that would be nice!

Do you lubricate the bearings with pure testosterone?     ;)  [/b]
Ha, actually that is the only thing I don't like about the machine. (Besides initial cost)

It has greasable bearings, so you have to watch how much you give it.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©