Author Topic: Drum Sanders  (Read 5014 times)

Offline C. Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drum Sanders
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jsmith74:
Grizzly G0716
Almost 300# but it comes on a nice stand with wheels and handles to move it around easily.it is a closed end but you can make it open to do 20" if needed. 1.5 hp which is nice and overpowered for only 10"
I was just checking it out online. If Kenny says Grizzly is good, that's good enough for me!

Truthfully, I just bought a 1980's vintage Grizzly 6" jointer recently.  I gave $100 dollars for it and it works like a champ. I got it from an older guy who hadn't used it much in the last 15 years or so.  All I had to do is shim the outfeed table and I was good to go.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 08:42:00 AM »
12 in. Baby drum from Grizzly and 14 in. bandsaw is Jet. The Jet has been 0 trouble. I had to replace the feed table motor and rive on the Baby drum. But cant tell you how many feet of wood and bows have been thru it.   :thumbsup:     :thumbsup:
High on Archery.

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 08:58:00 AM »
I have looked at and considered the baby drum but there is something about having to tape your paper to the drum that doesn't set well with me.
Skeater who?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 09:29:00 AM »
I have the baby drum sander.

There is a velcro backing on the paper and velcro on the drum. It's called hook and loop paper. It's very easy to tape the ends, only takes a minute per side.

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 09:44:00 AM »
Don't go velcro.... It will round off near your edges...

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 12:44:00 PM »
Rich, do you mean edges of lams or edges of drum?
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 04:16:00 PM »
Edges of the lams...  I had that problem way back...  The back of my bows actually had a little convex shape to them...  Took that crap off and now I  put a light spray of adhesive on the back of my paper and tape off the ends...

Offline Jsmith74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 04:52:00 PM »
The grizzly uses a metal drum with slots and clamps to hold the paper tight. No hook and loop and no adhesives

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 05:28:00 PM »
Not all of them do.

I've never noticed the edges rounded over.

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 05:50:00 PM »
The  performax  has a really nice system for changing the paper it has 2 clips at the end  that are inside the drum it takes about 3 minutes to change grits  I have a friend that has the grizzly not sure what model but likes his, with the open ended drum sanders you have to readjust the drum as there set a little higher on the out bound side as to not leave groves in wide panels but I have never had a issue for parallel core lams I just reverse as I'm grinding but I'm going to readjust before I try tappers but it's not difficult to adjust !
If you fear failure, you will never try ! But never except it!!

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2018, 05:58:00 PM »
I saw a 16" grizzly for about $1300 that looks good.If I ever get another it would be the one I would look at getting
US ARMY 1984-1988

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2018, 09:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Not all of them do.

I've never noticed the edges rounded over.
It is slight...  Put a straight edge across the back of your lam...  Or glue up about 5- .050" lams under and air hose...  And compare one side to the other with a straight edge...One side will definitely be more rounded...

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2018, 11:44:00 PM »
I have the small performx 10-20 it has worked great for several years now.  Just can't hog wood off, gotta go slow.  I did add a strap to the open end to take out any flex.  Works like a charm.

Offline Tail Dragger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2018, 03:03:00 PM »
I noticed you were from the springs.  Check Denver craigslist, theres a guy selling a nice looking Delta 31-255x on casters.  Might be able to get a better deal than what he's asking.  Not to many drum sanders pop up for sale in our neck of the woods. trust me, I've had an eye out for quite some time.
Nockdrawaimreleaserepeat Nockdrawaimreleaserepeat Nockdrawaimreleaserepeat

Offline C. Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 08:30:00 AM »
Well, I'm pleased to announce a new addition to my shop!  I finally got my drum sander.  I got the Jet 16-32.  In spite of it being a larger machine than I really "need", I went with it because it will allow me to do other projects with it.  This made my better half less resistant to me dropping that kind of coin.  I told her it will be pretty handy for the cabinet building project she wants me to do.    ;)  

It works like a champ once I got it dialed in.  I need to buy or fabricate some taper sleds though.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 08:34:00 AM »
Congrats you sly old dog.. LOL

I wanted one but the wife was not crazy about me spending that much money. So a couple weeks before xmas I bought her a new all in one PC.. Well next thing ya know she asks if I still wanted that drum sander, LOL I said sure..   :)

Offline C. Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 08:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Congrats you sly old dog.. LOL

I wanted one but the wife was not crazy about me spending that much money. So a couple weeks before xmas I bought her a new all in one PC.. Well next thing ya know she asks if I still wanted that drum sander, LOL I said sure..    :)  
Nice!

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 08:55:00 AM »
Be carefull what you ask for Mr Johnson I did the same thing with my whole shop and now Im remoldling the whole house in between bows

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 09:00:00 AM »
Oh ya. We removed a small built in oven and I converted the old oven space to a cupboard. I made a really cool door out of western red cedar for it. It's really sharp, so the wife says why don't you do all the cupboard doors like that. There's only 13 more doors!

I said I don't think so..    :)

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »
Before I made my first bow had to tear out a cup board closet and build in this, the counter top made out of a walnut log I cut , could have built 5!bows in the same time, you opened a can of worms there Mr Johnson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©