Author Topic: Which one  (Read 843 times)

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
Which one
« on: January 31, 2018, 09:10:00 PM »
A project that is somewhere in the future but can't decide on which  way to go. Now assuming you can make only one set of limbs what (wood) you use. Riser is cocobolo and macasser ebony. Black and white ebony on left. Cocobolo and a small piece of macasser on right. I was originally going to use black and white ebony. Then the last time at the wood store picked up the cocobolo. Was thinking bout splicing it with the macasser. Also liking  the solid cocobolo route. The cocobolo board looks more orange than the riser in the pic but it looks closer in person.

Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which one
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 09:13:00 PM »
Beautiful woods, but I would choose the coco.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:18:00 AM »
Black and white ebony is really cool looking.  Either way it will be a beautiful bow.
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:24:00 AM »
I like limbs lighter color than riser and the B/W looks like great camo too as all my bows are made for hunting.....

So my pick would be the B/W .

Also it's just me but I'm tiring of spliced veneers. Risers , yes, veneers not so much.   :)
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:48:00 AM »
I'm with Kennym, hunting is always the main objective. The more contrast the better the camo so B/W would be my choice. It would also make a nice head turner at the shooting range as well so its a win win situation. Of course Dave has a point with the coco that would make a fine looking bow. Hmmmm This is why I only have one wood choice at a time in the shop.
Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 12:00:00 PM »
I think the BW clashes too much. Do something a little different...splice two pieces of the coco (or macasser) together with some of your mosaic strip in between.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 08:52:00 PM »
I agree with beach. The bw looks awesome and “wild”. Where the riser has more of a “sophisticated” look.
Maybe just a short butt end splice with the mosaic between to give the look of overlays.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 09:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bvas:
I agree with beach. The bw looks awesome and “wild”. Where the riser has more of a “sophisticated” look.
Maybe just a short butt end splice with the mosaic between to give the look of overlays.
I like that "sophisticated " look kind of what I was feeling. Even though I think the riser has some hidden treasures down in it. I really like the ebony but think the cocobolo would be a better fit. I believe I'm more confused on what to do now than I was. Probably going to shape the handle then decided. Heck I might come up with something else by then.    :scared:
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 10:54:00 PM »
The B and W would be my choice.   After a while the cocobolo veneers will darken with the UV and you will lose the nice grain.   As it darkens you will most likely see some streaking in the glass as well.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »
B&W veneers with the block in the pic   :thumbsup:
High on Archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©