Author Topic: Filing string nocks...small tear in glass...  (Read 753 times)

Offline green valley gobbler

• Trad Bowhunter
Filing string nocks...small tear in glass...
« on: February 01, 2018, 07:57:00 AM »
Buddy and I are just finishing up our first laminated recurve based off of Bingham's plans.  While filing the nocks I tore about a half inch out of the glass, belly side of the bow. It's basically right where the string lays down over the glass.  It's a thinner layer of glass (our glass thickness was 0.50), peeled off while I was filing with the rat tail file.  Is this something to be concerned about?  And can we put anything over it as far as glues, etc.  I was surprised how easily it peeled, was filing gently when it happened. Thanks in advance!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Filing string nocks...small tear in glass...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 09:00:00 AM »
You could probably put a very thin wood lam over it. Will just look like an accent. I've seen some bows with them. Riser wood scrap made as thin as you can would be good combo.

You could also try wicking superglue in it first, you have to work fast, wick the glue, plastic wrap and clamp the best you can. It may still show, I've had so so results this way, clear glass seems to always show the repair.

I put a bubinga strip on the belly of a D/R to try to stiffen the tips. It was 10" in from nock. didn't stiffen it much at all but don't look bad.

Think it was about .025" thick.

I always file toward bow back so if you have a lift, the tip overlay will cover it. A sharp file helps too.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 10:40:00 AM »
To add to what Kenny said, I use a chainsaw file instead of my rat tail file because it has a much less aggressive cut and less likely to tear out.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 03:47:00 PM »
What they said. Lol
I put my overlays on first. Then, using chainsaw file, cut my groove across the back of the limb. And finish with side groove, filing from belly towards the groove on the back.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 10:36:00 AM »
4x....  Use a chainsaw file...  I am wondering if the increased thickness of the rat tail file wedged in the groove and ripped your glass...

Right tool for the right job....

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 02:18:00 PM »
You got to go easy filling against the glass on nocks. I've tore a few. I add super glue and sand them back as much as possible to cover or remove the damaged area. I have never added overlays after but I bet that will do. I still would soak super glue into the split first.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©